1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fenderbird

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by UnfortunateTony, Sep 21, 2010.

1. UnfortunateTony

UnfortunateTony

Jul 26, 2010
    Seattle
    I have an Epiphone T-Bird and I'm thinking of sticking a Fender neck on there but first I want to know that this would work. So... Would it? Thanks folks!

2. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    If you have a dremmel tool and you are willing to remove a little wood it will work fine.

Picture%20447.jpg

b%20058.jpg

3. UnfortunateTony

UnfortunateTony

Jul 26, 2010
    Seattle
    Ah that could be a problem.... So let's say I had a luthier do that. Rough estimate?

4. lposavad

lposavad Supporting Member

T-Bird ----> P-Bird? ThunderJay?

5. TBird1958

TBird1958 As a matter of fact....I am your Queen! Staff Member

Mar 13, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    Endorsing Artist Mike Lull T Bass pickups
    :)

Shave the heel and sides of the neck......
    Epiphone body and a Mighty Mite lefty J neck.

thunderbirds022.jpg

thunderbirds023.jpg

I really want one like this...
    Very J.A.E.
    fullfront.jpg

6. UnfortunateTony

UnfortunateTony

Jul 26, 2010
    Seattle

That is awesome. Period. (Btw Washingtonians unite!)

7. I'm guessing the Fender neck alone is at least $150, right? So, I'm assuming that the reason for adding it is more than cosmetic. Probably a dumb question but is there something wrong with the stock Gibson neck that warrants the conversion? I mean, what's the benefit?

-Bob

8. A badassery increase of no less then 50%.

9. dalkowski

dalkowski Supporting Member

May 20, 2009
    Massachusetts USofA
    I LOVES me some Drinky Crow!

10. Totally digging the upside-down Fender-style headstock. Didn't know that it could work like that... For some reason I thought that fretboard radius was not a perfect circle vertically.

From what I read, the huge headstocks on Thunderbirds are heavy and cause neck dive. Never tried one though.

11. wolfmancharlie

wolfmancharlie

Nov 28, 2009
    I will probably be changing the neck on my Epi bird too. Made in China and 2 years old the neck has become unacceptable.When new , the action and stability was excelent but the neck is almost like gumby now.Like having a built in trem that you dont want.I love the tone and have done a few cosmetic upgrades so I would loose too much money trading it in then turning around and buying a pro 4.So I will probably go with a reverse headstock neck,We shall see.

12. Bassuvius

Bassuvius

Dec 18, 2009
    Oh my gosh! That natural/maple black block neck is gorgeous!:eek: That neck totally works aesthetically on that body. Ooh me likey!

13. hachi kid

hachi kid

Jun 2, 2008
    Austin, TX
    the reason John Entwistle created these "Fenderbirds" was because he like the thicker/darker tone of the Thunderbird, as opposed to the p-bass which "lost all the bottom end when you turned the treble all the way up on the amp." the problem was, he found the Thunderbird necks not comfortable. so, he took a much more comfortable, and thicker p-bass neck, and stuck it on one of his Thunderbirds, and found one of his favorite basses before he got into the Alembics.

14. Man, i REALLY want to build up a FenderBird//Thunderder!!!

15. TBird1958

TBird1958 As a matter of fact....I am your Queen! Staff Member

Mar 13, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    Endorsing Artist Mike Lull T Bass pickups
    My reason for making this one was that I didn't care for the stock Epi neck, I knew that going in. The J neck wasn't expensive, I picked it up on Ebay cheap. As for size of the headstock compared to a contemporary Gibson, the Fender styled one is a boat paddle, bigger and heavier! I do like having one maple neck bass, this one is currently set up BEAD.
    I wish Lakeland would really do this:
    LakieFenderBirdmockup.jpg

If you don't want to build one.........BaCH has some pretty cool stuff.

http://www.bachmusik.com/en/bach-ft-1-or_p1550
    http://www.bachmusik.com/en/bach-ft-1-or-non-plato_p1553

16. yeah if you dont wanna DIY, you could get a status B2 :) thats like the ultimate fender bird (there was a lakland proto while john was still here but the project went with him)

17. boludo54

boludo54

Jul 6, 2016
    Its very possible, not that hard, pm me and ill gladly help

Attached Files:

18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 3, 2021