Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

FenderGuys Opinions Part2

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Amoilbasso, Mar 28, 2002.

1. Amoilbasso

Amoilbasso

Apr 22, 2000
    Florence
    Hi everybody,
    I've been to that vintage superstore near Genova today,and I've tryed many 60's and 70's jazz basses:
    a 65,a 66,a 67,a 72,two 74,a 78.See www.Hendrixguitars.com
    Noone of them feels,plays,sounds the same.
    My preference goes to the '66(sunburst,alder body,rosewwod fingerboard)(Code BA042 on the site).It goes to 3870 euros,and it seems in very good condition
    and to the '78 Marcus' style(see code Ba 1808 on the site).It goes to 1800 euros;it would be in good conditions too,but has been cleaned with something alchoolic,and now its finish seems something like a a warwick......
    The '66 was much much more light weight,and had a better,narrower neck,while the '78 have a maple fingerboard that I prefere.Both had a huge sound!!!!!!What a Slap,thanderous!!!!!!!!
    All the other ones had something less;they were less punchy(someones veryvery less punchy,like the 65-code BA4949).Or the sunburst '74(much more lighter and narrower neck than the '78)was good on the D and the G strings,but muddy on the A and E strings:And so on......
    BUT I HAVE TO SAY THAT MY JUDGEMENT CAN NOT BE PRECISE,AND SAFE AT ALL:ALL THE BASSES HAD SUPEROLD AND RUSTY STRINGS ON!!!!!THE AMP WAS A MESS!The Frets were eated
    May be that I would have preferred some others,if they had decent strings on....I don't know.
    Anyway,the most important thing is that now I have a clear idea on what I want:
    If I will get a Fender,It'll have to be an early '70s one:they are light,have a quite narrow neck,have a maple fingerboard,they have a narrow space between the body and the fretboard(it's better for slaping and double thumbing).Of course it'll have to be in better shape than those 72 or 74s I have tryed today.

2. I think it would be perfectly acceptable to ask the sales staff to give the bass a new set of strings and a setup job. I manage the bass dept in a music shop, and for a bass of that calibre I would do whatever was needed to make it top notch. I even put new strings on cheapie trade-ins if they need it, and give all my basses a good set up.

3. Amoilbasso

Amoilbasso

Apr 22, 2000
    Florence
    Thank for the reply,
    the fact is that I couldn't buy a thing yesterday,because I have still to sell my Sadowsky.
    But,don't worry: if I'll come back there with my money in the pocket:
    1)I will bring my amp.
    2)I will bring a new set of DR Hi-beams.
    Anyway,my goal was to understand which years of Fender do for me;so,as I said above,I reached the goal yesterday.