Fendermania??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jackajesusfreak, Sep 11, 2010.

1. jackajesusfreak

jackajesusfreak

Mar 5, 2009
    Most of you know that I just picked up the bass in Feb of '09 after playing 6 string guitars off and on for 40+ years. I've learned more about the bass in here than I could put a price on, and this is just another one of those learning opportunities. I watch as many concerts I can through the internet and Directv. I would guesstimate that about 75% of the bassists I see are using some type of Fender. Now I know that preference, as far as bass guitars are concerned, is different for everyone as it is with automobiles. We could debate the pros and cons of cars all day and never get out of the driveway.
    So personal preference set aside, what do you think is the attraction and popularity of the Fender bass is?

1. Availability?
    2. Price?
    3. Prestige?
    4. Buying and playing the 'name'?
    5. Overall better quality and playability?

2. seungkoo

seungkoo Inactive

Nov 20, 2003
    MD
    I just like the tone of the classic fender jazz

3. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    They're a "known" commodity. The facilitate the majority of players and styles. They're an industry-standard tool for recording and performing. And they come in a range of prices from the Squiers to the Custom Shop models.

Yeah, there are better-built basses out there, some with amazing sound and comfort. But Fenders are the workhorses of the music world.

4. MrGotBass

MrGotBass

Jul 28, 2009
    Oh... this thread again...

There all over the place because they've been used for so long and have been proven reliable on stage and in studio and easy to work with in both cases as well.

Happy?

5. jackajesusfreak

jackajesusfreak

Mar 5, 2009
    You seemed perturbed a little MGB???? You know what I do when I see a thread that might be repeated for the thousandth time, such as 'What Bass Do You Recommend?'....... I just keep on surfing! :hyper:

6. Where is a good site to watch concerts online (besides youtube)?

7. jackajesusfreak

jackajesusfreak

Mar 5, 2009
    tube is the only one i'm aware of. many on DTV too.

8. MrGotBass

MrGotBass

Jul 28, 2009
    Sorry if I came off as kinda dickish, but it just that this thread pops up so much that it ought to just be sticky'd.

What I said was right though. This question is kinda like going onto a forum about trucks and asking why the F-150 is so popular, or going onto a firearms forum and asking why the AK-47 is so popular. They're tough, reliable, fairly cheap, available, and have been proven over time to get the job done. Are their "better" trucks or guns? Obviously that's a personal choice, but even if you don't choose the F-150 or the AK, you'd be pretty hard pressed to deny those things about them.

Same goes with Fender. There may be "better" sounding or "better" looking basses out there (subjectively, of course), but you can't deny those things about them. And that is why Fender is so popular ;)

9. jackajesusfreak

jackajesusfreak

Mar 5, 2009
    No problem MGB. I prefaced the auto debate in my thread, subjectively we could debate and defend our personal preferences all day long. It's just that when you have 75% of the folks buying Fender, there has to be a general consensus on why. (The 75% is just a number I pulled out, not sure what the more accurate figure is)
    I guess their track record speaks for itself.
    Thanks for your input.

Jack

10. EighthNotes

EighthNotes

Feb 12, 2007
    This is how it is for me: Fenders are more "accessible" than higher-end basses or the "better" basses. When I have access to basses to try out (Fenders) I find one I like and stop looking. Sure, store carry other basses, but 9.75 times out of 10 the Fenders have their own wall or corner or sometimes even room. They are hard to miss and not pick up.
    And they just work.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021