1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender's '50s Classic P vs. the Road Worn P

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bass-flyer, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Seems some are complaining about P's instead of showing off their P's,
    so lets complain here, or just compare, comment, whatever.
    I have no complaints, just a comment or two.
    I have a '06 '50s Classic P and love it. It's been my main player.
    Photo below.
    I have said many times (at another forum) that I think the RW P's are neat,
    I really like the 2-tone burst, but for the price, I'll let my '50s P get road worn by itself.
    Course I got mine for a steal on eBay, $400+ shipping and it was new.

I've read comments elsewhere that the finish on the RW P's are too dull. Older basses still retain a certain shine on parts of the body. Is that a valid statement?
    It appears the pups/electronics may be the same both basses. Are they?

I do like the worn look .... a bit. Just seems a little high price-wise for a relic job on basically a '50s Classic P.
    Or is there MORE to it then that?
    Well, I guess the hardware is relic'd too, not just the body. Is the neck?

And of course, to each their own! :D

DSCF2304_small.

2. GC4

GC4

Apr 6, 2008
    Toronto, Ontario
    The RW P's have nitro finishes instead of the regular poly finishes, which I find a lot more appealing. Poly finishes will not wear out probably ever without actual damage being inflicted to them like dropping or smashing of something.

They also have vintage like hardware, I think...

I like the RW basses but I'd like them a lot more without the relic job. If they could put that bass on the marked without any relicing to it (and knock some $$ off the pretty steep price tag) I would be a lot more excited.

3. Soooooo, basically, the '50s Classic P would do it for ya IF, it had the nitro finish.

4. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Yes. But still, getting a $400 50's P refini'd in Nitro will cost less than a RW, IIRC.

5. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    Let me start by saying that I'm a life long P bass player. Been playing them since 1982.

I've played a number of the MIM 50's P's, and my impression of them was always the same.
    They're an o.k. P bass. Not great, not bad... just pretty good. A step up from the regular MIM, but that's about it. A reasonably good bargain, but they've never wow'ed me to the point of thinking.. "I'd really like one of these for myself".

The RW, I must admit, I was sceptical. I tried one out was was VERY impressed by it. It had the feel and inexplainable "it" that the 50's P's lack.
    Very lively feeling bass, with the tone of a VERY good Precision.
    Now, I'm not a huge fan of artificial aging, BUT these Road Worns are very nice basses. They damned well better be for the price.

Would I trade my American Standard or Pre CBS for one? No, but they really do have a certain something about them going on.

I was actually fairly impressed with the RW. The typical MIM 50's P's that I've played felt lifeless by comparison.

6. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Theo Cantor should pop up soon enough. These threads are made for him.

7. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    Cosmetics aside...

If I were in the market for a new P bass, the RW would certainly be in the runninig for me, and worthy of cosideration

8. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    If the RW finish is too dull, then 5 minutes with a bottle of Meguires and a light polishing will put a little lustre like the real vintage basses still have.

9. Surly

Surly

Feb 2, 2007
    South Florida
    That's the word, from several people; the RW's are more like CS basses just made in Mexico. If they were USA they'd be twice as much or maybe more.

10. Ashdharma

Ashdharma

Mar 26, 2009
    Northwest IN
    I own 2 MIM 50s P basses and have recently tried out a RW at a local shop. Personally, I think they are fairly similar in tone and feel, so I can't understand that outrageous pricetag.

I do like the nitro finish, but all of them are "worn" in the exact same spots, so if you see a few of them on the wall next to each other, they seem a little cheesy and without true character, which is what they are going for by relic-ing in the first place; character.

Like GC4 said, if they would release them without the relic job, just the nitro finish, and lower the pricetag, I would be more interested. As it is now, I have zero interest in owning one.

11. impactwrench

impactwrench

Feb 22, 2009
    I think the RW look pretty sweet. I cant see me playing a bass long enough to make it look like that. The finishes these days are bulletproof.

12. Yeah, I bought my '75 Oly White new in '77.
    It certainly has changed color and lost some finish.
    Not like the Road Worn P's though!
    I've played it at QUITE a few gigs since '77.
    My '50s Classic is giving it a well deserved rest.

4bb0.

13. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    +1

We both seem attracted to these threads. Thinking of going Road Worn? :eek: :eek: :eek:

I am.....:ninja:

14. boamedt

boamedt

Jul 2, 2008
    Santa Rosa, Ca
    i am not a fan of the "road" worn. i played a rw p, it sounded like a p bass to me. I think the relic job looks stupid. go ahead send me ur bass, i will do it for free. I mean ur tellig me that kicking around and abusing your bass will make it sound better? wrong. But thats fenders idea. take a perfectly good bass **** it up then sell it for more than the pristine one? ok no thanks fender try something else

15. JoeBelc

JoeBelc

Apr 6, 2008
    Pekin, Illinois
    That is, by far, the most lovely thing I have seen in a long time.

16. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    Fender seems to be selling them, so it does not appear that they need to "try something else" ;)

17. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    IMO the RW series are way overpriced for what they are. I could care less about the nitro last i heard it didnt make a diff in the mix. The classic 50 is again to me one of the best Fender deals for the money fender has going. The RW, no way for the money that is.

18. Jim Carr

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Fearful much?

From the previous RW thread I have to quote myself, because it seems so prescient or maybe even paranormal--ha ha. :eek:

Here goes and let the ammo supplies be fully shot out, if you can afford it, LOL! :D :D :D

Ps. see, http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=533713

19. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Leaving aside the relic argument, I thought I'd post the street prices on each these days (since I haven't seen them yet).

Road Worn P: $1200
    '50s P: $840

Pretty significant gap. Now if the RW is as good as the initial reviews here and on the FDP suggest, it might be worth the price difference. That said, I've been pretty darn impressed with the '50s model--and those are obviously available on the used market, which is of course very attractive these days.

20. Jim Carr

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI

Thank you for this!