Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender's Antigua Finish

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by funk_engineer, Dec 5, 2002.

1. I've seen a few pictures from the 70s of Fender Strats and P-basses in Antigua. This finish looks sweet...but what's with the pickguard? Is it painted or just gradually colored plastic? What years/instruments was this offered?

2. dirk

dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    I know a guy that owns one of the Antigua P-Basses. I've actually played one, and they're quite nice. The pickguard is gradually colored, but if I had the chance to pick up any 70s P-Bass I would take it, b/c those are nice basses.

Dirk

3. I think the finish is pretty rare--you don't see 'em around that often/
    It certainly does have an interesting look to it.
    It was also offered on the Coronado at some point.
    Good luck with your search.

4. I could be wrong but I thought they were made around '80-'81. There is one at a guitar center close to me for like $800. It plays great and looks pretty cool.

Every once in a while you will see one in a skit on saturday night live.

if you want more info check out
    www.vintage-bass.com

5. I've got a '78 Jazz Bass with the antiqua finish on it. The bass sounds fantastic, but it weighs a ton. hahahaha

6. I'm not sure if this picture will take. It's a lousy picture of me but the best I have of my bass. It's a 1978 Fender Precision Antigua. I've heard that the Antigua finish was only used in 1978 on non-Coronado models but that was only hearsay. I know that it was used for several years on the Coronado.

This is my main bass but I've pretty much used it exclusively since 1981 when I bought it used. I think that the pickguard was painted though. The finish is wearing off mine and its black underneath. From the sides, the pickguard looks black, white, black. Where the paint is wearing off the body of the bass, it looks like off-white is underneath.

[​IMG][​IMG]

7. Here's a photo of a clean antigua jazz bass that was posted on vintage-bass.com. It is soooo sweet. I love those 70's jazz maple necks.

[​IMG]

8. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Antigua is definitely one of my fav Fender finishes. Unfortunately they were available only for a very short time, and so Antigua finish Fenders are really hard to find.

9. bman

bman

Dec 4, 2000
    Sandown, N.H., USA
    This thread is KILLING me.
    I had a 1978 Jazz with Antigua finish - but I sold it around 1989 for rent money.
    It's my biggest gear/sale regret. To this day I consider it my lost love. So I went and got a Geddy Lee Jazz to help ease the pain. :D

Still... Someday I'd like to find an old Jazz antigua.

10. This summer, my band went into the studio to record a CD. When I unpacked my bass, the engineer looked at my bass, shook his head and said, "I've got a bass you can use." When I plugged it in (direct), the sound was great. People must think that the paint affects the sound. The vomit yellow with the baby sh*t green burst never fails to get comments.

11. I've got a 78 Pbass. It HAD the Antigua finish....but I refinished it translucent blue. The pickguard was beginning to crack and the vomit yellow/green was looking pretty lousy. Eventually I got to where I couldn't stand the color.

I don't think it's really all that rare, at the time there were two more with the same finish at Gruhn Guitars.

If anybody wants an antigua pickguard I will sell it...I put a pearloid on after I refinished it.

12. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I'm gonna cry...I had an '81 Jazz with the antigua finish.... I sold for the hell of it for .....$250.00 about 8 years ago. I still do not remember why i sold it, i think it was a saturday afternoon and i was bored....and stupid !:oops:

13. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    It does seem that many were heavy weights. Maybe they decided to use green in the color because the wood was so green during that period in Fender's history. :)

It is a very unusual color.

14. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I can't help it, this is the least attractive finish I've ever seen. Sorry.

15. JayAmel

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
  16. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Wow! I had no idea that the Mustang came in Antigua. I'll bet that is a very rare bird!

IIRC, the Antigua finish was invented to cover up burn marks on a poorly done paisley finish.

17. JayAmel

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
  18. Here's some more Antigua pics from pittsburghguitars.com. This thread is getting scarey.

[​IMG]

19. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    You know, I LIKED that finish up until that pic. Too much of a good thing. Ew.