1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender's David Gilmour Signature Stratocaster.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Kgoodrich, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Dude, it's a maple fingerboard Strat with a short "Wang-Bar" arm.

I'm not trying to insult your hero or Fender- but I believe a signature should offer something substantially unique about it.

What separates that guitar from an ordinary Strat with David Gilmour's genuine fake signature on it? The goofy on/off switch and the silly short bar and a case that costs as much as a regular Strat with David Gilmour's name misspelled in the lining. (yeah, there were a bunch that snuck out with the name "David Gilmore" in the embroidery)

2. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Agreed. I love David Gilmour, and I've anticipated a signature Strat from him for a long time now, but those prices are insane.

3. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    Players don't generally buy guitars like this - collectors and investors do.

And the 3 different pickups, including the custom hand-wound one aren't a bit unique?

4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    You'd do better to get a Mexistrat and the EMG DG20 drop-in PG set, IMO...

5. Joey3313

Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    And anyone who was considering buying the Jaco Fender Relic is an idiot and should just shell out $150 for a SX and rip the pickguard off.

6. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    While I don't think the Jaco relic is worth the money, the SX option wouldn't work in this case because it has a big route under the guard. However you do have the option of the Squire VM fretless for a great price.

7. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    I put that EMG set in my Squier Strat and just love it. Unfortunately I've hardly touched it in about 6 or 7 years since I've been playing bass more.

8. It doesn't matter who buys it, it's still not really offering anything particularly special, worthy of a "signature" guitar, IMO.

As far as the pickups being unique... I don't think they're a couple of grand worth of "unique."

Maybe it's because I'm not much of a Pink Floyd fan that I don't find this guitar the least bit interesting. Maybe it's because I don't particularly like Strats. However, I am a huge Zeppelin fan, and I don't find the Jimmy Page signatures interesting either. For that- the "Jimmy Page Wiring" scheme is something that was kind of just cooked up for the 1995 JP LP. I don't think the little nuances of crap are worth the extra fiddling and fooling around- Page himself wasn't using anything like that until the guitar came out. (his #2 LP did have a series/parallel and phase switch under the pickguard)

The sig I would most like to get my grubby little paws on is the Johnny A sig. That's a badass guitar.

I guess the bottom line really is if it's worth it to you, it's worth it to you. That particular model would not be worth it to me.

9. I don't think I ever claimed I was going to buy it.

10. There would be nothing wrong with wanting to buy it- if it's what you wanted.

11. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    No, you brought it up so now you're required to buy it. It's in the rules.

;)

12. Man, this place is harsh...

:D

13. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Plus, you have to let us play it, too.

14. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    i have some EMG SAs in a 70s strat and they are swanky sounding pickups to be sure. i don't have the tone circuitry tho, is that worth a crap or gimmicky like the short trem bar? (my strat is a hardtail and is going to stay that way)

Edit: This is in the Austin Craigslist http://austin.craigslist.org/msg/854112548.html MIM Strat with the DG-20 set for $400. I'm not the seller and I don't know who is. I can't imagine the $3K guitar sounds any better.

15. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I think they sound great!

16. kangia

kangia

Aug 10, 2008
    I definitely agree. If you buy a bass just because of signature, you're a fool. Not a fan, a fool.

17. Yeah, there is nothing Signature about David Gilmour's amazing tone at all is there?

18. 250GBsOfAwesome

250GBsOfAwesome

Jul 11, 2008
    I've been hoping they make something like this for Gilmour. He deserves his own signature model, he's my favorite guitarist ever. That being said, there's no way I'm going to buy it.

19. OUCH... man he DOES have THAT tone down to a T.. PURE guitar bliss.