Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fenders(JP90 and Jazz Deluxe V)-Info Please

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Aussiephoenix, Nov 9, 2004.

1. Hi,

I have an Aria Pro II (My Backup) that I want to substitute with a better bass.

Im looking at some specific options that have popped up, but Finding out if a specific year fender is any good or not seems to be pretty hard to tell.

One of the Options is a

Fender JP-90 (USA)
    Manufactured 1990-1993,
    Hybrid model with 1 set of precision PUs and 1 Jazz PU.
    About this one, I'd like to know if anyone has owned or played one that they could tell me about them, and what you think their average value would be...

Thanks

2. Guys I could really usu any info you could give me on this.

3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    In the US, a JP-90 is worth $3-400. While MIA, it's not highly regarded or worth much.

The MIM Jazz Deluxe is an odd duck because the pickups and preamp are the same as the MIA Jazz Deluxe. Otherwise, it's the same bass as the MIM Jazz Standard. Since many people seem to like the idea of buying a MIM bass and upgrading pickups, this is a better bet than the JP-90 especially if you could use a 5 string!

4. I do believe the JP90 is a shorter scale than normal fender basses. A friend of mine had one for a while and I played it from time to time. The bass was decent, but the pickups seemed subpar to me.

5. TheLarch

TheLarch Supporting Member

I had a JP90 for a while that had already had the pickups swapped to EMG's when I had purchased it. It also had a Badass II bridge in place. It cost me all of $300 on Ebay and I really enjoyed it. With the mods, it had a clean, modern agressive tone that really sat well in the mix. My bandmates also liked its tone. The only negatives with the JP90's in general are that they feature a poplar body. Poplar, while a pretty good tonewood, is soft and subject to dents. The neck also felt a little small for my hands which aren't all that large. Rumour is that the necks are prone to warping because they are so thin, but mine was fine. Also, the JP90's are often found with cracked pickguards. I'm pretty sure it is a full 34" scale.

The only reason I sold it was because it was white and I just didn't like it aesthetically. I know, pretty lame. :rolleyes:

6. HMmm, A friend of mine that works as a fender reseller said that that bass was definitly from the "veneer" period... meaning it's possible to have ANY kinda wood in the middle of that...

:eyebrow: Im starting to think that this JP90 might not be worth it...

I mean, its in very good condition as far as I could tell from the photos and talking with the guy thats selling it, and I was leaning more towards it, rather than the mex... but it seems I always find these negative reviews...
    I was hoping it would be a bass with a punchy precision sound, and a nice warm Jazz undertone... something middleground you know?

Guess I'll just have to try it out, and see if I like it...

this one is going to cost me about 300 € (EUR ~= USD)

I have put the Fender Deluxe V aside... tried one, didnt really like it.

I tried a Mex 60s Bass and loved it however, though thatone is going to cost me ~800 € brand new...

Dunno, is it worth dishing out the extra money for a MEX?
    (Definitly NOT going to buy a USA at those ridiculous prices)

7. Can anyone that has tried this bass tell me its good and bad points?

and, Can anyone tell me if im right in thinking that the sound that you get out of this bass with both pus on is a jazz-like sound with a bit more puNch from the precisions?

8. Asaf

Asaf

Jun 9, 2003
    Israel
    the jp90 was my first bass, it had a nice neck but crappy pickups and i really think it's not worth more then 200$...any other cheap bass wih cheap price tag will be quite the same.

IMO don't buy it...