Fenders made in Japan

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Btone, May 19, 2002.

1. Btone

May 5, 2001
    The other day I landed on a site called www.ishibashi-music.com...
    Do any of you own or know the Japan-made Fender JB62-77FL? It's a '62 reissue fretless. I'm juuust about to buy it...Comments on this bass?
    The craftmanship of the Fender Signature models made in Japan is very good in my opinion - is the JB62-77FL of the same high quality?
    Why are they not in the Fender-catalog? Are these basses primarily for the Asian market? (Yet, a guy here in Norway imports them..).
    I'm thankfull for all info on the japanese Fender-production and distribution...
  2. The Japanese reissues are supposed to be as good, if not better, than their Mexican brothers. I think this have been discussed before, so search the archives, and you'll find more information than I can give you.
    And, yes, I think Ishibashi's instruments are made for the Asian market, still it's quite possible for individuals, and perhaps even companies, to order them direct. But, I don't think Fender (Scandinavia) will stand behind such products, guarante wise, as they would with a Mexican or American instrument, since they don't import them themselves. So if that's a concern, I would avoid them. But, if it's all about quality and playability, I've found Japanese Fenders to be really good.
  3. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    I'd take a Japanese Fender over a Mexican Fender most any day. I've even heard people say Japanese Fenders are on par with American Fenders.
  4. Btone

May 5, 2001
    Thanks lousybassist and Phat Ham!
    Most people would go for the latter if they had to choose between mexican and japanese, judging by posts in the archive and elsewhere.

But are there quality differences between the japanese-made signature basses sold by Fender (Geddy Lee, Marcus Miller) and the the "Ishibashi-Fenders"...?

You see - the reason I ask is that I own a Marcus Miller Signature and it seems very well made - not at all "cheapy". Now - if the fretless jazz http://www.ishibashi.co.jp/webshop/world/guitar/fender-j/fender-3.htm]JB62-75FL[/URL] holds the same quality - it's interesting.

If I only could hold it, feel it and play it before purchasing, it would be no problem.

So the thing is: "Signature"-quality versus "Ishibashi"-quality.

My guess is that they're pretty similar - being made by the same folks in the same factory...

Any opinions?
  5. Btone

May 5, 2001
  6. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    are these not available at all in the states? i would really like to have that jaco sig esque bass and its only about 477 american. but i bet shipping would be a fuc*er.
  7. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    They'd be same quality... :D

MIJ Fenders are great! My guitarist has a MIJ Squier and it rocks more than most MiA Fenders except for the pups... I'd say the pups in the MIJ's are comparable to MIMs while the rest is comparable to MIAs
  8. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    did ya see they have new atk's (i'vebeenhad's) with the jazz pickup added... i wonder if thats cool?
  9. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    If you read they dexcription of the bass it has american pickups
  10. Btone

May 5, 2001
    Looks good, doesn't she?

Shipping is around 160$ I think - not shure..
  11. The thing is that some MIJ Fenders actually sport American vintage type pickups, just like the ones used in the new MIM "reissue" basses. So the Japanese basses to look for are these. I remember reading somewhere that there is the same kind of hierarchy - in price and supposedly, but not necessarily quality - among the Japanese Fenders as among the American - where Custom Shop instruments are the best, the reissues come close and the American Series are at the "bottom" (I'm not in any way implying that these are bad instruments, BTW). For the Japanese ones, the ladder looks like this:
    First, the many different signature basses (Marcus Miller, Duck Dunn, Sting et c), second, the reissues with American pickups, and third, the basses made entirely out of Japanese parts.
    I think I read this at the Fender Forum, and the guy who said this was, IIRC, living in Japan. Even if I'm wrong about who said what where, the ladder hypothesis seems quite plausible to me.

Edit: why do I have to type so slowly? What I typed has already been said in part by stingrayguy. Oh well. There's no shame in being an echo, right? ;)
  12. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    They do make Fender instruments in Japan, but they are mainly for Asian market. The reason for this is the large amount of Asian guitar brands making Fender clones, I believe.

Certain models, mainly the signatures, are imported to Europe and to USA tho.

Japanese quality is quite high, I have MIJ Telecaster from late 80's and it's very good. The pricetag was 400e($350), and I'd rate it equal to American Standards.

I'd recommend MIJ-Fenders over MIMs any day, especially in Europe where imported American and Mexican instruments are 1½-2x US prices :rolleyes:

Used MIJs are awesome value, methinks.
  13. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    if they are made in scandinavia why do the headstocks say made in japan and not made for japan.
  14. Btone

May 5, 2001
    A slight misunderstanding..you see, both lousybassist and I live in Scandinavia. If we were to import a japanese bass, lets say from Ishibashi, it would'nt be covered by any warranty from Fender here in Scandinavia. So if anything goes wrong with your import-bass, you're in trouble warrantywise. That's what lousybassist meant.

I guess the same thing goes for you guys in the states.

Would'nt call this a good reason to drop the import-project, though.;)
  15. I have a MIJ Squier Strat - a fantastic little intrument. I recently put a set of Fender Texas Special pickups in it. Now I have a Strat, that sounds better than most standard MIA Strats, but cost less than half the price of an MIA Strat.

I also noticed that the new Iron Maiden signature series Strat and P-bass are made in Japan. Guess those guys think the MIJ stuff is up to scratch enough!
  16. Yupp. Thanks for clearing that up, Btone!

Me neither. In a way, it would be like buying a used bass, only the bass in question would be new. If that makes any sense. :)
  17. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    I just know that Atelier Z's kick maximum butt. :D

18. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    what are those joker and where can i steal i mena buy one:)
  19. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

20. td1368

Jan 9, 2001
    WOW:eek: What is that Jeff? I have an MIJ Jazz and it doesn't look like that. Love the neck binding and inlays. What's up with the single through body string? Is it a modified Marcus Miller?

I have an MIJ that I like with the exception of some high frets in the upper register of the neck. I liked the neck better over the MIM's when I bought it. I recently played an MIJ P-bass that was just awesome. It was only $280 bucks to boot. Unfortunately I had no funds.