Fender's new "S-1" switch...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gnobility, Nov 23, 2003.

1. Gnobility

Aug 13, 2003
    ...I guessing at least some of you are familiar with the S-1 switching pots Fenders is putting on some of the Am Std Strats & Jazz Basses (it offers seies/parallel switching & other functionality I believe)

At any rate, it seems like this switch might make for a slick way to let me modify my Jazz Bass Deluxe to allow switching between passive & active operation - heard of anyone trying that?

2. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
  3. mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I played a new Precision and Jazz bass with the S1 switching system the other day for the 1st time. While I like the functionality a lot (I had series-parallel and active-passive switching added to my Jazz and PJ basses, and am amazed that more manufactures don't offer this on their stock instruments), I wasn't nuts about the actual S1 switch itself. 2 reasons:

1. The push-button felt somewhat flimsy,
    2. It's tough to see the position that it's in... when you "push" it, the depression is rather slight at best. The instrument sounds different, of course, but I like to have a stronger visual cue for the setting, as well.

In all, I still prefer the push-pull pots that handle this job in my Jazz and PJ basses.