Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nomadic Herder, Oct 16, 2000.

1. I've heard Fender guitars break real easy. And the wiring inside 'em isn't that great. Is this true for Fender basses?

2. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Funny...I've heard just the opposite. :)
  3. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    I think fender basses are built like tanks, mine fell out of the car while it was in the back of a friends SUV. I picked it up a small scratch on the back & it was still in tune. I think they're built very well. thats all
  4. Black_Sabbath_Fanatic

Dec 12, 1999
    nope sorry, i have to strongly disagree. my bass has been abused actually i'm sorry to say, and it only has 1 scratch on it, seriously. i have dropped it quite a few times. Let's put it this way...my bass has endured as much "reasonable" abuse as possible. I mean it's not like i throw it around, but hey i didn't have straplocks for a long time and such, haha. it's in great condition still. it's got one scratch and i white spot on the headstock where it slammed into the drywall that won't come off. that's it. they are tanks. mine is a MIM and i can just imagine what one of BETTER quality would be like!!!
  5. chi cheng from deftones says he beats up his fenders and they still stay in tune.. so I doubt they break easily =)

6. guitar player from Filter throws his across the stage (sliding, but are thrown, so they bounce off the stage, then go into a slide) and yet they still dont break, and i'm pretty sure he still uses those guitars, i've also seen him hitting them aganst his cabs. (very brutal sound with all that feed back with a mix of strings flying around like that)
  7. I also agree that Fenders are very well built. My Fender bass and g**tar have endured more than enough torture, and they stay in tune well, even if they have a fair share of dings. Electronics, wiring, etc. are very solidly put together too.
  8. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Ha ha ha, no! On my MIM (3 years old) the bridge pickup has its own life nowaydays, sounding when it feels like it. I have to slam the body with my hand, on a spot just between the bridge and the controls make the circuit connect again... Doesn't seem that solidly put together after all. :D

I'm getting a new bass tomorrow! I CAN'T WAIT! (But it's a Yamaha, so that belongs on another topic.) :)
  9. gmstudio99

Mar 11, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    You heard wrong.

10. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Ive had and have a few Fenders and I never had one break or sound bad.
  11. Good experience with Fender durability here too.

In my younger days, we would go a little crazy at the end of our shows and start trashing stuff. Well one time, in the heat of the moment, I threw my Jazz to the ground and started jumping up and down on it. (NOT recommended, BTW).

Once the final cymbal fell to the floor and the smoke cleared, my bass was still in tune! Nothing happened to it!

(Oh wait, what's that big crack halfway through the body??? Do'h!)
  12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

A lot of people may not like the way Fenders look, sound or feel, or might agree that the fit & finish is inconsistent, but I think that even the harshest Fender critics will tell you that they are a very durable, workhorse instrument.
  13. Mandude

Apr 19, 2000
    I have 2 basses that I regularly play out with. A Fender Jazz and a Carvin lb70 If it might get burned,beer soaked or banged around I go with the Fender every time, not that the Carvin is a dainty instrument, it just that KNOW that the Jazz can see the back side of hell and come out hollering EADG! Tough instruments they are.