Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fernandes APB-5 anyone?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by maxoges, Aug 23, 2000.

1. maxoges

maxoges

Aug 23, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I own a fernandes APB-4 with active pickups and was thinking of buying a five string bass. I got a hold of a guy selling his APB-5 (a fernandes five string). Has anyone tried it? Was it any good compared to other five strings?

2. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Max-

Welcome to TB :).

I don't play one myself, but a very good friend of mine does, and he loves it. As a matter of fact, he's looking for a second one, so if you decide not to get it, please let me know so I can point him in the right direction.

3. maxoges

maxoges

Aug 23, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Well Gard... I live in sweden and that is a long way from USA for where I guess you're from, but I'll tell you if i decide not to buy it anyway:)
    He wants 6500 kr for the bass...It's about $700

4. nicolas

nicolas

Jul 6, 2006
    Belgium
    wow the only post specifically talking about this model is 6 years old. i didn't know these basses were so rare. i've owned one for about 6 months. very happy with it. traded it for a cheapo yamaha rbx-775 haha. the guy had a 4 and a 5 string APB and "wanted to try something else". who am i to tell him otherwise! so anyway, the low B on this one growls like a hungry wolf if that makes any sense (we don't have wolves in belgium unfortunately), even if it's only a 34" scale. actually some dude wanted to trade his apb-5 for my ibanez atk-305 last month but i didn't see the point in owning two identical basses (same colour and everything).

5. ptidwell

ptidwell Commercial User

Jun 13, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Owner LoPHAT Cabinets
    Maxoges,
    I own a Fernandes APB-5. However my nephew has had it over the last several months, but mine is a 90's crafted in Japan.
    I modified it by changing the pickups and preamp to EMG P5J with the BTS System preamp. I have what I feel are quality basses and since I have not sold this one off, IMO it is one of my quality basses.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. gmarcus

gmarcus Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2003
    I just picked up an old Fernandes APB5 at Good Guys Music in Honolulu. What a great music store, they really are good guys! This is a nice pro quality bass. Great solid bridge, stable smooth tuners separate battery compartment. The only thing missing is an active bypass. It has narrow string spacing so the 34' neck isn't much wider than a P-Bass. Good electronics, but a very slight hum is some venues. Turning the treble down a little gets rid of it. Best of all it only weighs 7.5lbs and it cost $399. This is my favorite bass in the world right now. The sound is kind of a cross between a J-Bass and a Warwick, really growly, good burpy finger tone and scooped slap tone. The B string is good too, fits right in there with the rest of the strings tone wise.