1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

For Sale Fernandes APB5 Bart NMTB pre TIJFs Featherweight 7.5 lbs 16.5 mm

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by 4Mal, Nov 26, 2017.

1. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Price:
    Strings:
    Feel free to make on offer !

MIJ - has the MIJ and s/n sticker on the back of the headstock.

Upgraded the Preamp to Bart NTMB wired as Vol, Blend, Mid, stacked B&T. This is a new Bart module. First install. New TIJF’s, B to G.

Pickups are the stock active Fernandes. They are very good, very quiet. Normally pickups are an automatic upgrade for me. Not with this set. They are just fine.

Has one body ding under the G string by the neck. Some previous owner must have anchored a finger there. Odd spot... pictured below.

Awesome, easy player in a 34” scale 5. I’m coming from 19mm and find the 16.5 easy to work with. The small body still balances great and it’s super comfy with the big rolled edges.

Overall in very good shape.

7.5 lbs

Shipped conus, PayPal Ok.

5B7F0E42-7FE1-4556-8FED-41262063F532. BD556F0C-4878-4C36-8597-77CECA73EE44. 2390EF54-BB45-4E24-848A-94B8A4472E81.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
  2. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Oh, man! Tell us a little more about the Bart pre as compared to the stock harness.

Best thing that ever left the FG plant / Japan...I have two of 'em. GLWTS!

Riis

Obese Chess likes this.
  3. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    3 band vs 2 band. Stacked Bass &Treble I like for grabbing both and very quickly incresin or decreasing some scoop. 2 position mids buys some of that.

Overall the range of the Bart pre is much wider more boost, more cut than the stock 2 band. Which is neither a good or bad thing. For me about an 1/8th turn is a lot. I am more about the blend pot and hand placement than extreme eq settings.

This is really an outstanding bass and with Jazz Flats it plays like a dream and has the mid range complexity you expect. String to string balance is typically TI as well. In and of itself, the TIJFs are money well spent.

As I write this I remember that I ordered a replacement barrel jack. That will be installed before she leaves.

If my Lull or Ric sell. This one is staying put...

Zooberwerx likes this.
  4. gmarcus

gmarcus Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2003
    That's my baby! Another thing to note is this bass was set up by Jim Mouradian (RIP). He was the finest luthier in the New England area. His work is legendary around here. That bass plays like a dream and I can only imagine how good it sounds with the new pre-amp and TI strings. It really is feather light at 7.5 lbs. It spent the first 15 years of its life in Hawaii. I bought it at good guys music in Honolulu. The only reason I sold it was that I'm playing strictly passive basses these days. Someone is going to get a great player's bass.

emjazz likes this.
  5. feschyn

feschyn Supporting Member

Oct 10, 2004
    I have the 6 string version of this bass. Same color. Always find myself reaching for it. Been thinking about switching the pickups with Bart G6s but mine is in such nice condition I sort of hate to mod it. Plus stock pickups and preamp are really not bad. Mine is light too.

6. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I felt that the pre was the place to start... the pickups are pretty nice on their own. I play in a couple of seriously RF slammed bars and the Fernandes isn’t bothered. Before switching out the pickups in my Ric, I could only stand in one position it was so bad in one of those rooms...

7. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    These are GREAT basses!!

8. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    My Lull seems to have won the wars of the 5’s and the big 35” 22 fret neck seems to be the thing for me so... this Fernandes is officially back on the block.

Zooberwerx likes this.