Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fernandes basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hategear, Jun 3, 2001.

1. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    A true story: One of my local music stores went out-of-business this weekend and to get rid of as much merchandise as they could before the move, they had a big sale -- up to 70% off. I looked at some knockoff Fender basses (Excaliber brand) and a Fernandes 4-string. A few of my favorite players use or used to use Fernandes basses or guitars, so I gave it a look. The thing was about $1200 marked down to $700, it had a red quilt finish and gold hardware. The tuners were tarnished and some of the "gold" was rubbed away. In the little pocket were you would adjust the truss rod (at the joint were the neck met the body), the clear finish was bubbled and orange-peeled. I was very disappointed in the overall craftsmanship of this bass, especially for the price. The Excalibers were nothing special by any stretch either, but at least they were cheap. The Fernandes was, IMO, an overpriced piece o' sh*t. Comments?

2. maxoges

maxoges

Aug 23, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Sonds like you found a crappy sample! I've had my fernades APB-4 for 7 years and everything is almost as good as new on it, exept for a couple of dents I made in it. The sound and action is great.

I had to replace the stock pickups with semour duncan pickups and can honestly say I don't remember what the bass sounded with the stock ones on. The reason I swithed was that the J-pickup didn't work AT ALL when I bought the bass. I was a beginner then and didn't understand what all the knobs were for, so it took me a year to realize that the J-pup was broken. The dealer exchanged both the P and the J pup for free so I'm happy. The battery compartment isn't the most durable one I've seen, but I've seen they changed that on newer models.

It can sound like a active hi tech bass or a P bass or a J bass and I love IT

3. Hategear

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I actually looked at the APB-4 a few years ago. I am not exactly sure which model this one was, but I believe it was a Gravity 4-standard GQ. Anyone ever heard of these Excaliber guitars and basses?

4. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I had an LEB-1 and it wasn't bad for a $300 Jazz Bass copy-I liked it better than the Mexican Fenders. The workmanship on my bass was pretty good but the finish dented and chipped very easily. Also, it had these extremely narrow, tall frets that produced a weird, very high pitched grating sound with certain kinds of strings.

5. maxoges

maxoges

Aug 23, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I've heard fernandes are cutting costs with the newer gravity series, that's what the dealer told me anyway. Apperently the older ones are made from better parts or something... I don't really know. But the gravity standars I tried in LA does not ever come close to my APB-4

6. Hategear

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    So the Gravity 4 Deluxe would be the equivalent of an APB-4?

7. maxoges

maxoges

Aug 23, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I don't know... but guess so.
    By the way I recorded a pop act today. We chose the fernandes over a höfner, p-bass and a stingray 5. That'll tell you something about the bass i'm talking about!
    PS. The fender strat rules when it comes to guitars.
    Don't care much for fender jazz basses though.

8. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    i dont like fernandes basses much.they feel too much like ibanez soundgears...cheap.yea the action is always very low on all of the ones ive played.maybe its me,but i have yet to find a fernandes i really like.