Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fernandes basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr Stankface, Oct 25, 2005.

1. So, does anyone around here other than me play Fernandes basses? I have 2 Gravity 5 Deluxes. Just curious. :D

Andrew

2. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I used to have a Fernandes LEB-J4 (I think that was the model) which was their basic Jazz copy. This was 7-8 years ago. Bass Player gave the 5 string model a pretty good review. It was a nice solid budget axe, comparable to the '90 Japanese Squier Jazz I had. A number of players I knew in the 80's much preferred the Japanese Fender copies made by Tokai, Fernandes, and the Squier company to American Fenders of the same era.

Only downside was the soft finish on the basswood body which dinged easily, plus the vintage-style frets were pretty tiny. Some of the name players who've used Fernandes include John Wetton, Rocco Prestia, Jill Cunniff (Luscious Jackson), Robert Trujillo, and Eddie Jackson (Queensryche).

3. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    I'm a Fernandes dealer! (well my bgoss is I just work for him ;) ) I was REALLY impressed with their products overall. Unfortunately none of their basses "did" it for me enough to buy one. The Gravity 5 had a bit of a floppy B and I couldn't get a tone I dug alot from it. The Tremor (X) sounded great in fact I can't think of any complaints for that one...same goes for the Gravity 4's. The Atlas had good tone but I didn't like the feel, my right hand felt really lost!

That said their guitars are AMAZING! For the money I'm convinced you can't get better! I bought a Native X in pearl white it's gorgeous and has such a sweet smooth tone and plays great! I have trouble putting her down!!! The Limited Edition Retrorocket in ash with gloss maple neck & board is THE sickest guitar I've ever played, weighs a freaking ton has ballsy tone, most comfortable neck ever and for blues, there is no compromise! I'm positive it beats every Fender or Gibson in that price range (~1300.00 CAD)

4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I have a one of a kind custom made fernandes(or so I was told) that is modeled after a BC rich Mockingbird bass. It only has 3 strings at the moment, I'll try and get a picture later.

5. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    [​IMG]

Wondering if I should have her defretted or not...

6. Yeah. These are some INCREDIBLE basses. Too bad I have to part ways with them as soon as I find a buyer. Funds are going to buy me another EBMM StingRay 5. :hyper:

Andrew

7. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Does this one count?

Fernandes Nomad, aka Elephant Bass

[​IMG]

Peace,

James

8. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    I think they're good, quality instruments for the money. That being said, I'd pay good money for one of their rare, Japanese-market Sustainer basses that is a major part of Peter Steele's sound. :eek:

9. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    I've a p copy Fernandes that now sports a 1/4 lb'er and flats. Will probably never sell cause copies come cheap and it's still a fabulous instrument. Basic, tried and true no-nonsense design.

10. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    do you have more info on this? It sounds pretty crazy I was thinking of cool things i could do with a bass sustainer the other day...

11. katiekitty3334

katiekitty3334

Jul 17, 2006
    I have a 4 string Tremor X. I love it and can happily say I haven't had any problems with it.

12. ptidwell

ptidwell Commercial User

Jun 13, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Owner LoPHAT Cabinets
    I have a 90's APB-5 tha I modified. This is a nice instrument
    I put EMG's P5J pickups and the BTS System preamp. My nephew has had it for a few months, I need to go get it.

[​IMG]

13. Hewhoisnothere

Hewhoisnothere

Jan 6, 2008
    Fernandes FEB-170 MIJ:

[​IMG]

:smug: Beauty!

14. nemo

nemo

Mar 19, 2004
    Czech
  15. Muddslide

Muddslide

Feb 23, 2007
    Gypsy Caravan
  16. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Hey Stanky, how are those Fernandes basses treating you these days?

Jack

17. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    2.5yr old thread. My guess is they're gone by now.

18. Haha.

Those boys are LOOONG gone.

How's that 20th treatin' ya? ;)

19. midopa

midopa

Nov 26, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    [​IMG]
    A nice bass, but it's on the bay now.

20. I like how this thread is all old.
    That bass in the preceding post is cool-lookin, but it's a shame the pickguard doesn't cover the end of the neck.
    My main bass in a Fernandes 5-string jazz copy (retrospect, I believe the model is called) that somebody had defretted and put a mystery preamp in. It has great old school tone, and it also seems to be totally indestructible. I'll never sell it.