Fernandes Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassman1185, Nov 10, 2000.

1. Does Fernandes make good basses? I see in my Musician's Friend catalog that they have a Fernandes Tremor bass for $189 that lists for $549, and a Fernandes Retrospect 5 Standard that lists at $799 for $299. These both strike me as good deals. Please don't say that you can't get a decent bass for under $5000 because I'm 15 and I only make $30 a week.
  2. Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.
    the fernandes j-bass is a pretty decent bass,if you are on a budget,just starting out or looking for a backup bass,u really cant go wrong.
  3. cole

Sep 14, 2000
    I have a Fernandes jazz-style bass, and it's a lot nicer than comparable Fender jazz basses. but, as with everything, you should try before you buy.
  4. I have a Fernandez P that's my back up. It's actually my brother's but he's been letting me hang on to it for the last couple years. Its a very nice bass. The neck is more J like than P. The action is really nice. I don't like the pickups and I keep telling myself I'm going to swap them for something else but I just haven't gotten to it yet. All and all a very good mid level bass.
  5. The Retrospect is a pretty decent bass for the buck, as are all Fernandes basses. They are made in Japan, not Korea, so they are a cut above the usual asian instruments. They dont have that horrible scarf-jointed headstock like many do. I work in a music instrument shop, and we are Fernandes dealers, and we are very happy with them. The Gravity series 5 string has one of the best B strings around in a mid priced instrument, tighter than a Cort Curbow. I have'nt seen a 5 string Retrospect, only the 4, but I would imagine the B would be similar. Because the Retrospect has Fender Jazz shaped pups, it would make a good platform for an upgrade in pups and preamp, and you would end up with an excellent instrument.
  6. maxoges

Aug 23, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I've been a happy owner of a fernandes APB4 active bass for five years. Nowdays the model is called gravity by the way.
    It's a great bass in all ways. It's fast, it's easy to play , it sounds good and it's beutiful. Another plus is that it's light. You just cannot go wrong with this bass.
    I found one used in SWEDEN (where i live when I'm not in Hollywood) for $350 I think the model I have retails about $1300 new, but used they are cheap bargain! Oh the other instruments made by Fernades have been recommended by varios bassmags.

Sep 10, 2000
    Fernandes aren't too bad but i wouldn't want one....

btw i founda very strange bass yesterday...i think it was fernandes...i was just browsing around the music shop
    P-bass pickup in the neck
    and a musicman in the bridge!!
    very strange but i didn't try it out

has anyone ever seen one of those?
  8. maxoges

Aug 23, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I dont think they make em like that unless it was a ccustom job. Peter Steele from Type o negative had his bass custom made from fernandes.
  9. I have a Fernandes P bass and am very happy with it. It could use better pups but for my needs it is perfectly fine. When I bought it, it was white and I just finished refinishing it so now it has a natural finish. The body is made of maple so it looks really nice. RET, I'm pretty sure that the bassist for the deftones has a bass like that, it is a custom Fender I believe, with the P pup at the neck and a musicman at the bridge.

Sep 10, 2000
    hmmm.....i wonder how that would sound
  11. ckonthe1

Oct 26, 2000
    Nashville, TN
    I've got a Frenandes fretless. Jazz bass pickups, deep purple color! It sings!
    It's incredible! It's not an F bass, or Pedulla but man, for an inexpensive bass
    it sounds amazing! Nice growl!
  12. ineedspeed1

May 23, 2009
    does anyone know where i could get a fernandes atlas 5x in bc (canada) or any online sources?
  13. anyone know about fenandes 6 strings ... i think it is a apb ...i know it has bartoli active pickups but other then that... and i cannot find any info on it at all ....someone please help me
  14. I have a p bass knock off from 85, its actually a lawsuit model, called "the revival" and everyone who has ever played it loves it more than any fender p bass from the same era, but as to their new stuff im not really a fan
  15. the guy sellinng it says it was made in early 90's if that helps
  16. I just checked one out. They had $750AU on it, but their sale price was $495!

Great build quality, great playability (even better with a few tweaks), Great tone and it responded really well to any dynamic changes in playing techniques ( diggin' in). Well worth it for the price i think. Better then any bass of the same price.

But, i can only say that off playing the one bass.
  17. shaolinwhat

Jun 5, 2005
    I used to have a retrospect 4 string, sunburst with pearloid pickguard. I had bought it on ebay as a back up for $175, it was a really solid bass. I still regret selling it, it seems to be impossible to track down another one.