Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fernandes Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassman1185, Nov 10, 2000.

1. Does Fernandes make good basses? I see in my Musician's Friend catalog that they have a Fernandes Tremor bass for $189 that lists for $549, and a Fernandes Retrospect 5 Standard that lists at $799 for $299. These both strike me as good deals. Please don't say that you can't get a decent bass for under $5000 because I'm 15 and I only make $30 a week.

2. Starrchild

Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.
    the fernandes j-bass is a pretty decent bass,if you are on a budget,just starting out or looking for a backup bass,u really cant go wrong.

3. cole

cole

Sep 14, 2000
    Maryland
    I have a Fernandes jazz-style bass, and it's a lot nicer than comparable Fender jazz basses. but, as with everything, you should try before you buy.

4. I have a Fernandez P that's my back up. It's actually my brother's but he's been letting me hang on to it for the last couple years. Its a very nice bass. The neck is more J like than P. The action is really nice. I don't like the pickups and I keep telling myself I'm going to swap them for something else but I just haven't gotten to it yet. All and all a very good mid level bass.

5. The Retrospect is a pretty decent bass for the buck, as are all Fernandes basses. They are made in Japan, not Korea, so they are a cut above the usual asian instruments. They dont have that horrible scarf-jointed headstock like many do. I work in a music instrument shop, and we are Fernandes dealers, and we are very happy with them. The Gravity series 5 string has one of the best B strings around in a mid priced instrument, tighter than a Cort Curbow. I have'nt seen a 5 string Retrospect, only the 4, but I would imagine the B would be similar. Because the Retrospect has Fender Jazz shaped pups, it would make a good platform for an upgrade in pups and preamp, and you would end up with an excellent instrument.

6. maxoges

maxoges

Aug 23, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I've been a happy owner of a fernandes APB4 active bass for five years. Nowdays the model is called gravity by the way.
    It's a great bass in all ways. It's fast, it's easy to play , it sounds good and it's beutiful. Another plus is that it's light. You just cannot go wrong with this bass.
    I found one used in SWEDEN (where i live when I'm not in Hollywood) for $350 I think the model I have retails about $1300 new, but used they are cheap bargain! Oh the other instruments made by Fernades have been recommended by varios bassmags.

7. RETSAMPALS

RETSAMPALS

Sep 10, 2000
    Fernandes aren't too bad but i wouldn't want one....

btw i founda very strange bass yesterday...i think it was fernandes...i was just browsing around the music shop
    P-bass pickup in the neck
    and a musicman in the bridge!!
    !?!??!?!?!
    very strange but i didn't try it out

has anyone ever seen one of those?

8. maxoges

maxoges

Aug 23, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I dont think they make em like that unless it was a ccustom job. Peter Steele from Type o negative had his bass custom made from fernandes.

9. I have a Fernandes P bass and am very happy with it. It could use better pups but for my needs it is perfectly fine. When I bought it, it was white and I just finished refinishing it so now it has a natural finish. The body is made of maple so it looks really nice. RET, I'm pretty sure that the bassist for the deftones has a bass like that, it is a custom Fender I believe, with the P pup at the neck and a musicman at the bridge.

10. RETSAMPALS

RETSAMPALS

Sep 10, 2000
    hmmm.....i wonder how that would sound

11. ckonthe1

ckonthe1

Oct 26, 2000
    Nashville, TN
    I've got a Frenandes fretless. Jazz bass pickups, deep purple color! It sings!
    It's incredible! It's not an F bass, or Pedulla but man, for an inexpensive bass
    it sounds amazing! Nice growl!

12. ineedspeed1

ineedspeed1

May 23, 2009
    does anyone know where i could get a fernandes atlas 5x in bc (canada) or any online sources?

13. anyone know about fenandes 6 strings ... i think it is a apb ...i know it has bartoli active pickups but other then that... and i cannot find any info on it at all ....someone please help me

14. I have a p bass knock off from 85, its actually a lawsuit model, called "the revival" and everyone who has ever played it loves it more than any fender p bass from the same era, but as to their new stuff im not really a fan

15. the guy sellinng it says it was made in early 90's if that helps

16. I just checked one out. They had $750AU on it, but their sale price was $495!

Great build quality, great playability (even better with a few tweaks), Great tone and it responded really well to any dynamic changes in playing techniques ( diggin' in). Well worth it for the price i think. Better then any bass of the same price.

But, i can only say that off playing the one bass.

17. shaolinwhat

shaolinwhat

Jun 5, 2005
    Ohio
    I used to have a retrospect 4 string, sunburst with pearloid pickguard. I had bought it on ebay as a back up for $175, it was a really solid bass. I still regret selling it, it seems to be impossible to track down another one.