SOLD Fernandes MB-85 ... 80s MIJ Mockingbird

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Brendan, Mar 11, 2017.

1. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Price:
    Strings:
    SHORT TERM PRICE DROP TO $500 SHIPPED.

For Sale/Trade:

Mid-to-late 80s Fernandes MB-85. It's a Mockingbird copy, the catalog years I've been able to find have been 1985-89. To my understanding, it's not a "lawsuit" in that Fernandes payed for licence. It's been modified and played.

34" scale
    1.68" nut width
    Maple neck (flattened D profile)
    Rosewood fretboard
    Mahogany wings
    ~8.5 lbs
    Will include gig-bag (tweed, pretty decent).

The electronics are now a 9-volt set of EMG pickups. It's set up V/V/T, with a three-way selector. The original electronics are intact, just disconnected; this is how I got it. I further replaced the tuners with a set of Hipshot Ultralites. As you can see, I also permanent attached a strap; under the washers are Schaller straplocks, and I can remove the (sweat-free, smoke-free) strap, at request.

The bass is ~8.5 lbs, and on a grippy strap, balances surprisingly well. It neck-dives, no lie, but it's not as fatiguing as some "balanced" basses I've owned. I can include the original, heavier tuners.

It's got wear and dings, it's been played. They're in pretty typical places for a Mock, and confirm the mahogany wing description. Truss rod and all hardware function just fine, and currently sports buzz-free medium-low action.

$500 shipped

Trades:
    -Fretless 5, no Fenders, Carvins, Schecters, G&L. Under 9.75 lbs. Wider neck the better. Must be lined.
    -Guitar 7 string for preference, but let me know what you have. TOM and/or hardtails only. No trems.
    -No burst or metallic finishes, no gold hardware, no white pickguards, no maple boards with matching headstocks across the board. Prefer darker finishes, or natural.

There's a lot of things I'm interested in. There's a lot of stuff I'm not. Can't hurt to shoot me a PM, I'll be polite about it, either way.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
    joebar, Milo's, The Eristic and 2 others like this.
  2. Jaymi

Jaymi Pink Bass Man

Feb 11, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Ampeg , GHS
    dig this

Brendan likes this.
  3. Saw this thing on Craigslist. Wish I had the cash. Maybe if my ATK sells.

4. Milo's

Milo's Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I have an almost identical bass to this and this is an incredible deal. These basses sound so amazing. GLWTS.

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    SHORT TERM PRICE DROP.

$500 shipped. Price goes back up to normal if this doesn't move for the duration the squeeze.

Milo's likes this.
  6. Message sent

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 19, 2022