1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fernandes or Gibson

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by I am Soma, Mar 19, 2013.

1. I am Soma

I am Soma Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2013
    MN
    Hey all,
    So I'm looking at getting a new backup bass. I've played nothing but Modulus for years and am just looking for something different and fun.

I'm currently looking at the Fernandes Triturador as Carcass is a top three band for me and I like the features/looks. I've also heard Fernandes makes very underrated gear.
    The other option I'm interested in is the new Gibson EB. Love the look and I've always loved the Gibson bass tone.

Anyone have any experience with either of these basses/brands? Unfortunately I won't be able to try either of these basses prior, but as it's a backup to a backup I'm not uber worried :)

http://www.fernandesguitars.com/triturador/triturador-deluxe.html

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Bass/Gibson-USA/EB-Bass.aspx

2. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    fernandes makes some hi quality stuff for sure

3. I am Soma

Jan 2, 2013
    MN
    do you have first hand experience?

4. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    I'd go with the Gibson, which is made in the US rather than China. It also has a nice feature set, and doesn't look like a Dean Cadillac!

5. I am Soma

Jan 2, 2013
    MN
    Ha it does look like a Cadillac lol It just looks fun and is the artist model for one of my favorite bassists of all time!

6. pghjeeper

pghjeeper

Mar 11, 2011
    No comparison USA made gibson or china made Fernandez, Gibson all day for me. Did Fernandez change hands? When I was young they where cheap Fender knock offs

7. mp40smg

mp40smg

Aug 11, 2010
    Worcester, Ma.
    unless it is one of the old Fernandes Alembics.. which are friggin awesome...

I'd probably opt for a Thunderbird.

8. socialleper

socialleper Bringer of doom and top shelf beer Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    I've never been a fan of Gibson basses. They are usually kind of awkward weight wise and I'm not really impressed by the body styles.
    I tried out some mid-level Fernandes basses about a decade ago and they were ok. Nice big tone but nothing really spectacular. The Walker bass is kinda cool, but based on the live tone I've heard Carcass get its not for me. It sounds a little too clanky with the OD kicked in.

9. I am Soma

Jan 2, 2013
    MN
    Hmmm haven't found any good vids of his live tone with that bass. maybe i'll have to do some more digging but i like clank :)

10. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    only played fernandes telecaster guitars, but they were sweet

11. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    if you're buying new get the Gibson. it's going to give you a unique tone from your other basses. Buy either bass used if you can.

12. I am Soma

Jan 2, 2013
    MN
    I'm sure both would give unique tones - the large Gibson neck sounds a little scary to me

13. socialleper

socialleper Bringer of doom and top shelf beer Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA

Then it might be for you. The design is unique but I've never seen one up close so I can't speak to its playability.

14. I am Soma

Jan 2, 2013
    MN
    that is what sucks about not too many dealers carrying them :( on a good note that video rocks.... "our great pleasure to be back in Belgium - the land of chocolate and peeeeedophiles"

15. Fathand

Fathand

Sep 24, 2005
    Finland
    Info about this bass (the Triturador) is pretty nonexistent, and no-one seems to have one yet. I found them on sale in Germany though, but the the price is pretty steep (1200€). Does anyone know where these (and the other midpriced Fernandes') are made?

If it's MIK, I'd almost accept that price as they've got some excellent stuff coming out (newer Deans etc.)- but if it's Chinese made... oh boy. :meh:

I kinda miss the days when you could get an excellent MIK guitar/bass for less than 600-700€. :rollno:

16. NightTripper

NightTripper

Oct 20, 2011
    I'd go for the Gibby. There's just something about a Gibson that says ROCK. :bassist: