Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fernandes Precision

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bove027, May 1, 2002.

1. Does anybody own a Fernandes Precision Bass?? Bought one and I need some info about it...

All I know is that Fernandes stopped building these because they were copying the Fender Precision, something that Fender didn't liked....

2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I had a five string Fernandes Jazz for a while. I found it at least as nice as the MIM Fender. The hardware was a little nicer. Sounded pretty much the same. Overall build quality equal or better than a MIM Fender, IMHBEO.

I don't know why the stopped building them. I wouldn't guess that it is because of Fender. There are dozens of companies out there building Fender-style basses and the courts have already determined that there isn't much Fender can do about it as long as the peg head has a little different shape.

Chas

3. That's the fun part....

Fernandes bought a Fender Precision, made pictures of it, turned it inside out, and made an exact copy... The Fernandes Precision is born (even the sound is (almost) identical!!!)

They stopped because Fender sued Fernandes.....
    Guess that's the reason why there is nothing to find about it on the internet.... (go ahead and search...)

I'm hoping to find somebody that's got the same bass.....

Here's a picture to show....

4. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    There's a book called "Guitar Stories" that I highly recommend to anyone interested in the subject of unusual and/or cheap guitars.

5. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I have an interesting story for you guys. Our drummer has a Fernades P-bass. His father (Who plays a pre-CBS Fender Precision, I just had to put that in there :D ) is an insurance salesman. A while back one of the local music stores got robbed and they stole the bass. While being chased by the police, the chucked out the guitars. (The bass has a chip taken out on the top of it's body) Somehow, because of insurance reasons, our drummer's father got involved. The guitars wound up at an auction and he scored the bass for about 60 bucks. (Along with a Fernades Strat copy that our singer uses and another Fendades that kind of looks like a Carvin that his father's brother and guitarist now uses)

I thought that the bass was well built. Though it didn't stay in tune as well as I thought it should. Definatley had the old Fender vibe going to it.

6. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    A local store where I live (Real Guitars) Has a MIA J deluxe and a Fernandes J copy in stock (with DiMarzios). I played both and liked the Fernandes better.

Goes to show...

7. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    i bought a fernandes tremor standard and it is awsome for everything. but i use my bass that my dad built(he has a company) to use for some old rock.
    and the fernandes has a awsome look to it.