SOLD Fernandes "The Revival" Reissue Jazz Bass - 80's Vintage Candy Apple Red MIJ

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by CatDaddyOTB, Feb 7, 2023.

1. CatDaddyOTB

CatDaddyOTB Feline Father Gold Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2018
    Philadelphia, PA
    Price:
    Strings:
    United States
    Hey everyone! Letting go this very cool vintage Fernandes bass - this is a 60's Reissue, made in the 80s in Japan. Weighing in at 9lb 10.6oz, this thing has a nitro finish, beautiful rosewood board, mojo for days, and epic 60s J bass tone! I purchased this a little over a year ago from the king himself, Danny Stewart of Bass Japan Direct. In its time with me it also received some Dunlop strap locks.

It definitely has some wear from years of being played and loved, as well as a gouge in the neck that was repaired, and does not affect the structural integrity of the instrument. All of this is detailed in the original listing below:

Fernandes Revival JBR75CAR Japan Vintage Jazz Bass circa 1985 | Reverb

Here is a video of Danny playing the thing:

The versions with the matching headstock are quite rare, and this one is priced for a quick sale due to its cosmetic flaws. I will include an Ibanez gig bag for safe shipping. Looking for $500 shipped for my talkbass brethren. I am not particular interested in trades at the moment, as I am mainly letting this thing go because I could really use the cash!

Shoot me a message with any questions - cheers friends!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 20, 2023
  2. bylar13

bylar13 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2016
    Any discount for local pick up?

CatDaddyOTB likes this.
  3. CatDaddyOTB

Mar 20, 2018
    Philadelphia, PA
    most definitely. shooting you a PM

4. dylanjohnson

dylanjohnson Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2002
    Morro Bay, CA
    Neck is straight and the truss rod is all good?

5. CatDaddyOTB

Mar 20, 2018
    Philadelphia, PA
    Having a conversation about this in the PM's so I thought I'd share, after getting the bass back from my tech:

"According to my tech, the ding causes no structural issue. You feel where it was filled under your hand ever so slightly, but it's barely noticeable.

What I will say is that it's an old lawsuit bass with tiny vintage sized frets. It seems like over time the neck has developed a tiny hump which you can see if you sight the neck down on the bass strings side. The truss rod turns and the neck is solid, my tech also put a shim in recently and it definitely helped.

Is this a dynamite, world-class player on par with dreamy vintage Fenders or custom shop? No way. Is it a cool, funky old bass that plays good with a great sound? Totally.

My tech also just replaced the control plate with one from another Japanese J bass of similar vintage, and it got a brand new output jack. This thing is ready to rock! I'm also asking much less than what these rare matching headstock models usually go for."

I am dropping the price to $500 based on these developments. Thanks everyone!

James Edward likes this.
  6. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    East Bay, CA
    Sweet, I had a black '96 MIJ Fernandes J bass that served me well, regret selling it to a co-worker to pay the rent back in the day.

GLWTS!

CatDaddyOTB likes this.
  7. CatDaddyOTB

Mar 20, 2018
    Philadelphia, PA
    Thank you very much sir! This thing is really fun to play and really has that lively 60s J bass sound. She needs a good home!

8. tpaul

tpaul Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2011
    Vermont
    What's the neck profile like?

9. CatDaddyOTB

Mar 20, 2018
    Philadelphia, PA
    Not too thin, comfortably round. C shape?? I think?

tpaul likes this.