Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BoognishMang, Jun 15, 2002.

1. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    i had one a tremor standard.
    with mm pup in the bridge
    and a jazz in the neck.
    i liked it. good for the money.
    same quality as a mim fender.

2. I have the Fernandes GRAVITY 5 Deluxe, and I love the tight string spacing at the nut, and generous string spacing at the bridge. I also love the "balance" control for the 2 pickups instead of 2 colume controls. The treble and bass controls are nice too! The sound of the low-B is nice and well defined, unlike my former Guild Pilot, where the low-B sounded like it was drowning in mud!

My set-up man didn't like it that much, though, since he had to remove the neck and put a wedge in it to keep it from buzzing when I fretted it in the 3rd-7th fret area.

This bass was very affordable ($450 on eBay).
  3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I had a strange fernandes custom job(I got it used for 500 bucks) it was a B.C. rich Mockingbird rip-off, only it had a through neck design and EMG active pick-ups(two precision pickups one at neck one at bridge)
    I got it for 500 bucks late at night...the price tag said 688, but hte store owner liked me(or he was drunk) but at any rate I got the bass for helluva less than it was worth...it was in shabby condition when I got it, but I got my old bass teacher to fix it up for me, I played that bass for 4 years....and would still If I hadn't gotten a Fodera ;)
    but I really liked it...great bass, I still play it now and then when I don't want to move across the room to get my fodera out of its locked hardshell case :)
    the tone was awesome and the feel was excellent(though I am liking the thinner tapering neck on my fodera alot over the solid thick neck on the fernandes)

and having a Precision pickup at the bridge is GREAT for harmonics
    from all I know of fernandes, they take other peoples designs and rip them off....but they do a good job at it, and make good basses....especially for the cost.
  4. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    they have there own stuff
    now Dillion. that is all they do!
    they even have a PRS Dragon. but it is a snake!
    it looks awsome!!
    and only $425!! nice quilt top too!
    my friend has a PRS Dillion. it is a nice as a PRS
    not the top of the line. but midrange. it kills Les pauls!

5. i played an atlas at a guitar show a while back... it was probably the best sounding bass i played... granted i didnt play that many things except for a stingray through a hartke head and genzbenz cab and it sounded like crap (sup with that?) anyway its a nice bass and they can be had cheap on ebay when they are around (not very often)
  6. BassGuyNL

Jul 20, 2000
    The Netherlands
    Whatever you do, don't buy the Fernandes APB-100 (or something like that) 5 string, if you see one used! I was lured into buying one, since I own a great Strat from the time when Fernandes only made copies. Also, Rocco Prestia played the 4 string version at the time. It has noisy electronics, a weak low B string, and all the strings sound with very different volume. Beware!
  7. BassGuyNL

Jul 20, 2000
    The Netherlands
    Oh yeah, I knew I forgot one thing but the reply above brought it all back: the raving review by Bass Player Mag also tricked me into buying the fernandes. I never trusted them again, ever...
  8. bben

Feb 28, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    Dunno about the Atlas, but I had a Fernandes Gravity 4 that was one of the best-constructed and best-playing basses I have ever seen. Three piece laminated neck, quite slim but very stable. Small ash body, very comfortable. The original electronics were so-so, I put EMG's in it. Sold it to a friend when I switched to five-string; she still has it and loves it. So Fernandes can do it right when they choose to.