Fernandez Gravity 5 deluxe?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RealBK, Apr 22, 2003.

1. RealBK

Feb 8, 2002
    Anyone give me some feedback on this bass?

Fernandez Gravity 5 deluxe

Worth the money?
    Sound? Build?

I know Robert Trujillo (Ozzy, Metallica) uses one, but i don't think it's a standard one, as his has jazz pickups. Could anyone tell me more about his Gravity bass?
  2. bben

Feb 28, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    I had a Gravity 4 for a while, with a three-piece laminated neck and gold hardware. I replaced the tuners and the pickups and it was about as nice as basses get. Beautiful thin neck that was very stable. Sold it to a friend when I switched to 5 strings, and she still has it.
  3. superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    yeah, i always wondered about this bass too~
    never saw one in person...
  4. hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    From the specs it seems to be a pretty nice bass, but who knows if you'll dig it?
  5. superphat

Sep 30, 2001

yeah, that's really helpful! :rolleyes:

i guess that's why the question was can i get some feedback on what people think, and not "tell me if i will dig this bass"
  6. snailplow

snailplow Leon Phelps Wanna Be

When I was stationed at Ft.Hood,TX.,it was only about an hour's drive to Austin.There was a Fernandes dealer down there that had some Gravity basses in 4,5,and 6 strings.I played them all,and I was really impressed with them.I've been playing for 17 years,have owned ALOT of basses,and these really appealed to me personally.
    The weak points were their pickups and preamp,but that's easily fixable.I liked the fact that they didn't have a neck that was so big that it felt like half of a friggin tree like some makers are hell bent on putting out. Additionally,the string spacing was closer together than most makers use,so I thought that was a plus.Not every player slaps,so some of us don't need wide spacing.
    My Ken Smith Burner custom has REALLY narrow string spacing and that's what made me buy it.
    I know that alot of players look down upon Dean basses,but they're "Razor" line are really good basses that compare well to Fernandes,so try looking into them if you can't find a Fernandes Dealer near you.I bought a Dean Razor NT 4,replaced the stock pickups with some DiMarzio Model Js,and it kicks ass.
    In the end,I guess just try to find an internet dealer that will let you try one out for a while,and let you send it back if you don't like it.