1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fernando Saunders

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by stuntbass77, Nov 1, 2013.

1. stuntbass77

stuntbass77

Nov 6, 2007
    With the passing of Lou Reed it got me thinking about Fernando. For anyone who does not know who he is, look him up on YouTube. What a great all around musician and bassist. If anyone knows what kind of strings he uses on his modulus basses ( all the strings are black, only the B looks to be steel)?

2. Alex J

Alex J

Jul 5, 2011
    UK
  3. chetmz

chetmz

Dec 4, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    Fernando is one of my favorite players and a unique 'voice' on his instrument. Love that fat staccato styIe he has.
    I met him during his days with Larry young and again when he was with Jan Hammer touring with Jeff Beck. A quiet and really nice guy.

4. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Aug 22, 2011
    Don't know what he's using nowadays, but I remember a Guitar Player Magazine interview w/ Fernando from way back when he'd first started playing Modulus 5-string basses, and he was using D'Addarios, and even then his B string was a different type than the rest of the string set...I think his EADG were flatwounds and the B was roundwound.

5. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Fernando is a great example of a fretless player who does not go for the stereotypical fretless sound.

6. stuntbass77

stuntbass77

Nov 6, 2007
    I put this post up hoping people who never heard of him will check him out. I like Lou reed, but mainly to hear Fernando. Lou reed fans should YouTube his live at Montrux (think that's how it's spelled), very cool. Fernando has his own style, completely.

7. stuntbass77

stuntbass77

Nov 6, 2007
    I believe sir you are correct, thanks. I suspected tape wounds.