Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fess Up! Who BOught this Ken Smith Jazz 5?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mike, Jun 2, 2003.

1. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    Anybody here. It's in the budget price range but looks damn sweet, and if Ken was involved, ya know it's gotta be pretty solid.

I'm thinking I need one...;)

http://accessbass.com/KSDprotoJ.html

2. turbod

turbod

Aug 30, 2002
    Santa Clarita, CA
    I own a Ken Smith BSR5M and I also own a SX Jazz Bass, the "Proto J" you are showing looks pretty darn good. If Mr. Smith signs his name on it, I'm a potential buyer!

3. turbod

turbod

Aug 30, 2002
    Santa Clarita, CA
    I own a Ken Smith BSR5M and I also own a SX Jazz Bass, the "Proto J" you are showing looks pretty darn good. If Mr. Smith signs his name on it, I'm a potential buyer! the best of both worlds...

4. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    I might be able to have played one by this Friday... My teacher says he should have one in his showroom by then, remind me and I'll tell ya how it is if he has it by then.

5. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    i tried a 4. good for the price. who designed the pre amp i wonder?

6. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Looks like a really nice jazzer. Anyone know where else they're available at, or if Adrian's going to have more in stock?

7. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Yeah, I really like that one.. Is that a special sale price or is it Adrians normal price?

8. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
  9. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    nobody asked me!!:eek:
    actually , they are killer basses- i tried to get more but they are sold out- i will get more in july- the tone is there- i set it up little an it plays great!- i shipped it out today to a gentleman in Canada-
    great, great price - killer slap tone and fingertone- singlecoils, so it is noisy when you solo the pups-
    passive / active pull knob- i think its a hit!

10. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali

Scares me when the term "good for the price" is used. Are you using that rhetorically or were you impressed with it and it just kinda came out that way???

Thx.

11. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    the 4 i wasnt ELATED with but it was good. i would love to try the 5. adrian who did the pre?

12. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    I'm with ya. I owned a Lakland Skyline JO 5 for about a week. GONE!!!!!! Hated it... Felt cheap with less than stellar fretwork. Got a real thing with that...

13. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    From what I read somewhere, Ken has very little to do with the production of this bass which makes me wonder. Is this true?:confused:
    I'm not too sure why he's gone into this direction either. He's been known to be a producer of high quality, unique basses. Why get into the market of recreating the most coppied bass in existence. He's got a good niche going, so why would he need to try and dive into this already saturated market? Sorry to sabotage the thread but seeing this just made me think and wonder.

14. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    the basse are produced in Kore- ken is plenty busy hnd building basses in his shop- but he did desing the bass- although it is a jazz bass- and i wondered at forst how these would be received..
    well, let me tell you, i shouldve bought a dozen!
    there is a STRONG market for a $699 Jazz bass thats active/passive with a very cool tone and features like white binding and block inlays- the bass i had in growled like a mutha and slapped like Marcus Miller bass- even over phone. a few people freaked at the tone-
    the one i had sold in 24 hours and i could have sold 4 more , but they are sold out at the distributors already-
    once i lowered the strings a bit, the bass played great! - it did hum as singlecoil pickups do when soloed- but otherwise- it felt great-
    i would not be ashamed to gig with it one bit... looked great and sounded great- what more can we ask? oh, yeah! at $699 . it's a steal-
    even i was fooled because i only bought one- but people , like me , love that look- i think it will do quite well-

15. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Here is the sticker for me...what is the string spacing on those things?

16. Johnny Alien

Johnny Alien Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Harrisburg, PA, USA
    A boutique bass company making a cheaper import jazz styled bass.

How original.

17. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    Jared,

I'm pretty sure the string spacing is 19 mm. I can just about tell by looking at it. I'm speculating, of course, b/c I haven't played one yet.

Adrian,

Your comments are reassuring. I know you have owned several boutique quality basses like myself, and I think we all know that once you play instruments built and designed with great craftsmanship, it's hard to settle for anything else. Keep talking, Adrian... I'm ready to be the Guinea Pig and bite. :D

18. K-Frog

K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    Adrian, I've got an MTD Kingston 5, please make a comparison between the B strings on these two instruments. I was GASing pretty bad when I saw your custom 35" Jazz 5, now I know there is a somewhat widely available one. It must have a good 'B' string though.

let's have that opinion!

K

19. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    wonder if this one is made in a very famous factory in korea......