Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by jazzbo, May 2, 2001.

1. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I thought I'd see if there are any Professor Longhair fans out there!

His style of boogie blues piano is always great fun! I'm definitely a fan of New Orleans jazz and rhythm and blues, but Fess is very inspirational. Being a fan of James Booker, Dr. John, and Harry Connick, Jr., it's easy to see his influence on a couple of generations of New Orleans artists. I would definitely have to say that "Big Chief" and "Tipitina" are some of my favorites, but his version of "Cry to Me" is awesome. If you're looking for some good ole N'awlins funk rhythms and heavy, rolling piano, he's the man. Check him out.
  2. His rhythms are so much fun. Pure energy and good times.
    As far as Dr. John.... have you ever heard his album "Dr. John plays Mac Rebennack"? It came out around '81 and was his tribute to the Nah'lins
    greats. Probably impossible to find now though.
  3. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I have "Dr. John play Mac" on vinyl! It's very good. A lot of people wanted him to do that type of album for a long time, but he shyed away from a solo piano album as he thought it gave the impression that he was a lounge act. Now his "Goin' Back to New Orleans," with guest artists like The Neville Brothers, Pete Fountain, Danny Barker, and Al Hurt, is a great, jammin album with classic New Orleans songs. That's one of my favorite Dr. John albums!
  4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

As a habitual Mardi Gras'er, I got to get closer to his stuff than from what I was reading in Rolling Stone years ago. I only have one of his albums, but I think that's all I need.

Something he said about one of his songs is one of my favorite quotes, "Beethoven composed it, I DEEEcomposed it!"
  5. I suddenly have a craving for crawfish.