Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Festival gig...

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Blueszilla, Jun 7, 2003.

1. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    Just wanted to share...

We are playing the weekend down in Ruidoso, NM at the Mountain of Blues Festival. Check out the site....http://www.ruidoso.net/bluesfestival/

I'm not too familiar with the bands on the bill but they appear to be touring the country doing blues gigs. We are playing in town at the Quarters Thursday thru Sunday in addition to the festival, so its a big weekend. We are hosting a jam for all musicians in the area every night so I'm hoping that some of the people from the festival show up and play. Should be lots of fun!! I'm taking my golf clubs to pass the time during the day. :D

So, let me know what festivals or outdoor summer shows you guys are playing. I sure would like to check out some other TB'ers playing this summer.

2. Blueszilla

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    C'mon, nobody has a gig at a blues or jazz festival or some show with a bunch of bands outdoors?? :( i don't believe it!

:mad: Somebody is gigging somewhere, I know it.

Could be anything for the summer season, y'know wedding, party, bar mitsvah, making parole....

Nobody??

*sound of crickets*

Kinda dry...

3. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    O.K. I'll bite... My band PHILLIP THE MEATBOX is playing at the Star Spangled Spectacular in Montgomery, NY on June 28th. Its a festival of music, eats, drinks, fireworks, and patriotism for this great land of ours. We're playing the second stage from 4-4:30 and the main stage from 6-6:30. Its going to be crazy, because this fest averages around 40,000! Word. www.ptmeatbox.com

4. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Yeah Summer is outdoor festival time. My favorite type of gig. We just played a rockin' gig at a county fair beer tent last night. We have several county fairs, town festivals ad the Illinois state fair this year. always a good time.

5. Blueszilla

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    Well, just got home from Ruidoso, I'm a little tired. the gigs went great, not as big of a crowd as expected I'm afraid, but fun nonetheless. Met some of the other musicians, they came to jam at our night time gig after the show, so it was a lot of fun. Nice people, some great players. Our condo was OK, and I even got to play golf on Friday. I made enough to be in the market for another bass, so I'll be lookin'.

One of the main headliners was Junior Watson, a great guitarist and a good singer. The GP in my band was telling me last week what a tasty player this guy is, and how he was stoked to meet him, and maybe get a chance to jam with him. well his first impression was just terrible, Mr. Watson treating some of the volunteers at the festival poorly. Later he came by the club with the other musicians and made Scott mad again with something that he said, not sure what it was. He played with his band for about 30 minutes and he sounded good but his bass player sort of stumped me. He started off at the festival on an upright and sounded great. When he switched to electric (explorer copy??) he sounded lost or unfamiliar with the songs, which doesn't seem likely. He had similar problems at the club, where he only played electric (borrowed a Lakland 4 from the guy in Andrew "Jr. Boy" Jones' band, mine are both strung BEAD). He played one song all wrong, but he might have been hung out to dry by the Watson fellow, who knows.

All in all a fun experience. I know they liked us; we got invited back again next year for the third year in a row. It's supposed to be a two day event next year. Looking forward to it.

Sorry for the length guys...

6. Blueszilla

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    Here are some photos from the festival. BTW, these are not mine. Actually not sure who took them but my GP gave me a CD copy.

Me and my 'Ray. Special thanks to SMASH for such a cool bass.

7. Blueszilla

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    Junior Watson. Great player and singer, but could be a bit nicer...

8. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Wheatland Jam - a.k.a. "The Geriatric Jam" incl. April Wine, Skid Row, Ted Nugent, The Byrds Reunion, Paul Revere & the Raiders, The Turtles, and Poison....(Bret Michaels/C.C. DeVille may drive all of us away...OH THE HUMANITY!!!)

Lotta bass power in that PA --->

[​IMG]

http://www.wheatlandjam.com/

9. Blueszilla

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    Andrew "Jr. Boy" Jones. Very cool player, very nice to everyone...

10. Blueszilla

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    RJ Mischo, hope I spelled it right. A superb harp player and singer.

11. Blueszilla

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    Scott Mitchell, excellent guitarist, who happens to be the GP for my band. Nice person and one hell of a player.

12. Blueszilla

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    Tutu Jones, the cousin or brother of Andrew. Lots of energy and one fast talkin' man.

13. Blueszilla

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    rickbass, that sure looks like fun. When did you guys get to play?? These hometown blues festivals don't get as big, but they are fun.

Are those SWR 4x10's all stacked up onstage?? Kinda looks like it....

Nice picture, now that's what I mean.

C'mon lets see what you guys got!!:p

14. rickbass

We're doing it again in late July. I might be mistaken, but I think that pic was Blue Oyster Cult's gear 2 years ago. The guitarists had a mountain of Marshalls and the bass amps were "the usuals" - rented SVT's.

B.O.C. brought everything they needed (see below) -

[​IMG]

15. My school's jazz band played outdoors at the Relay for Life... It started raining on my upright. How fun... Thats really the only thing out doors I have ever played, lol

16. rickbass

How did they amplify it bassist???

The biggest mistake I ever made was one time I got carried away walked up in front of the mountain of PA speakers while playing and nearly, LITERALLY, got blown off the stage!!!!.....and like my tinnitus isn't bad enough already :rolleyes:

17. I've got a barcus berry transducer and preamp pickup and ran that into a Carvin Cyclops combo (the r600 head with the 15 and 2 8's) they still complained about too much bass... Its pretty good for upright.... little glassy sounding but thats a quick EQ fix...

18. rickbass

Oh yeah, now I remember - I sold my Cyclops to a guy who was putting a studio together. Did you notice they just went up in price, big time, in the last catalog???

19. Blueszilla

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    Ouch!!!

20. I think I was looking into buying your Cyclops when i first came here. Its not mine its the other bassplayers from the jazz band though... Pretty loud... Some people complain about their lack of tone but I think they are pretty powerful for a combo amp (despite its just a powerful head in a cab with different sized speakers). Anyways Ive got a new rig anyways... Avatar CB115 with a hartke 3500... plan on getting the CB112 sometime in the future...