Festival mysteriously cancelled

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Muzique Fann, Aug 26, 2005.

1. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    This was from a week ago I think

What a mess!
    A friend from CA drove up to OR and they told him it was cancelled. This is after they already moved it a couple times already. What a crock?! Galactic is alredy scheduled to play somewhere in Portland tonight - I think MMW will be trying to do the same. People are pissed, promoters are pissed, bands, etc. I'm betting this has everything to do with that fiasco in Utah. *** is going on? Our live music is in serious jeapordy here folks. This is serious.

That's one of the better festival lineups I've seen lately - it's a shame the powers that be don't want people gathering and listening to music anymore.
  2. Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
  3. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Utah Incident?

Lollapalooza riots all over again?
  4. powerslave

powerslave Guest

Feb 24, 2005
    United States
    OMG! What are you going to do!?
  5. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    At this rate - I'd bet money that Burning Man doesn't happen this year.
  6. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Small update...

Less than 24 hours before it was scheduled to take place, the Shakedown Campout & Music Festival has been cancelled. According to a post on the festival's webpage, the venue management coordinator, the Lowell MacGregor Group, "canceled the festival three hours before its start." At press time, the Lowell MacGregor group would not comment on the festival's cancellation referring press inquiries to the Shakedown Campout's promoters. Festival promoters could not be reached for comment. A post on the Lowell MacGregor also states the following: "Due to circumstances beyond venue control the show has been cancelled."

Earlier this summer the festival was moved from Horning's Hideout to Oregon's Columbia Meadows following that venue's untimely closure. Medeski Martin and Wood, Galactic, Spearhead and DJ Logic are among the artists who were scheduled to appear at the festival. Please visit the festival's webpage for further information.
  7. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Was it a rave?
  8. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

I talked to a friend last night who books members of many of those bands in a club here. His take is that the promoters may have failed to meet the needed "$40K bond". This is hearsay, no idea how true it is. He was scrambling to see if he could pick up one or two of the acts this weekend.

The first venue has had all kinds of problems with other shows and this time the county pulled the plug. Problems with camp-over festivals in OR have been ongoing since the mid 80s Dead shows in Eugene, at least. :meh:

I have quite a few friends who are pretty bummed out about this right now, but several of the bands are playing other venues in Portland tonight and tomorrow.
  9. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    No - it was a music Festival. Please reread the initial post.
  10. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    I can't imagine a promoter with acts this big dropping the ball like that, but I guess anything can happen. If that's true I think we can close the book on their festivals forever. Galactic is playing at the Crystall Ballroom tonight (they probably booted some other band out of their spot) - but the people who already bought tickets to see Galactic tonight will have to fork over another $20 and drive a couple hours, how crazy is that. Imagine the thousands of poor music fans driving around the Portland area right now looking for something to do.

"Due to circumstances beyond venue control the show has been cancelled."

11. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

I'll follow up on this later, I know plenty of people who will have more info soon. My friend is very well connected with most of those bands, but he seemed pretty surprised last night, even though he knew there were ongoing problems. Someone could've sprung a last minute cash demand on the promoters, maybe. At least I can come up with some more unfounded rumors, if nothing else! :ninja:
  12. Of course not. Raves are shut down by paramilitary special forces trained to sic dogs on little girls. Music festivals are shut down because politicians hate music and create red tape to discourage festivals from happening (they bring too much money into the local economy).

13. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    How is a music festival any different from a rave?
  14. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    This is some good stuff from a guy on Jambase.com. It gets a little wild at the end though...

When you feel the frustration due to this (and other fests) getting nixed, I think that a lot is due to our current political climate. The independent promoters and bands really want to provide the music that we feel so spiritually.

In the end Shakedown was brought down by the county politico's that run the area that Horning's Hideout is located in. Y'all better be ready for more of this in the near future. (Just my opinion)

The independent music community and its core audience is under attack. In an age where individuality is boiled down to living in a Red or Blue State, our love for non-corporate music is under attack. From coast to coast across the United States, a culture war has begun (and definitely heated up).

At stake is our freedom to peacefully assemble, freely speak our minds, and express ourselves through the art and music that we create and support.

But why are some people so afraid of tolerance?

It is too bad that bands are deterred from playing at independent venues. It is too bad that fans are harassed when travelling into independent venues. It is too bad that the independent music community does not pull together their individual resources to fight this zoning hypocrisy and law enforcement harassment.

In the not to distant past, the Chitlin Circuit, a string of small, Black nightclubs and "honky tonks" that were spread throughout the U.S., offered a path for black musicians and audiences to unite for the love of music and raise money for suffering black families. The host would fix a big pot of chitlins to feed the entertainers and guests. This type of enterprise has been called Ujamaa; cooperative economics, a practice with its origin in Africa. I feel that if the music community works together, a new paradigm can be embraced in which the independent music industry can throw off these chains of cultural oppression, much like the impact of the Chitlin Circuit.

By banding together, the independent music artists, promoters and fans may build a new Freedom Circuit.

How can we all get together to support this new paradigm? Fans support the independent music venues.
    Promoters work together to schedule events that do not directly compete with other independent events.

We can all work together to create a flow or caravan of peaceful people traveling along The Freedom Circuit. Safety is in the numbers and we have got a large number of conscious peeps.

Come on people now, work together and share with your brother and sisters whenever you can. Our culture must survive, stay alive... Could You Be Love?
  15. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    I get all worked up about this stuff and I love some good unfounded rumors haha, but finally the mystery is unraveled. The bum promoter couldn't come up with the cash they were asking (I read another account of them asking for more and more, etc) - but they waited until 3 hours before the thing started to cancel it?! This is from the owners of the land?

Columbia Meadows and the Lowell MacGregor Group would like to appologize to all the fans who purchsed tickets from Hal Abramson for the Shakedown Festival. We did everything in our power to make the show happen but the promoter couldn't make the deposit payments he had contracted to pay and couldn't show that he had the money to pay his bills moving forward. He did write a book on concert promoting and on page 31 it states "if you are going to do a show that costs $45,000.00 you better have $45,000.00 in the bank, maybe he should have read his own words.

I wish there was something more we could do, but all inquiries need to be directed to Hal Abramson at 240.432.5151 or 386.253.4216.

You can go to our website for updated information about the situaion, we will leave the information page up for a few days. LMGLLC.com.

Agian, our sincerest appologies for this situation.

The post before this is noteworthy.
  16. Seems like you may have lost when you bet that "this has everything to do with that fiasco in Utah".

What's odd is that you seemed to have wanted the incidents to be related. When I first read that a concert has been cancelled, I assume artist fault first (sickness, personality, etc), then promoter/coordinator (paperwork not done properly, incompetence). You assume political oppression is the reason. Why?

It seems every generation wants to fight their rock and roll battle with the previous. The government is not trying to crush this "new" Rock Music fad sweeping the nation. Elvis and his pelvis are long forgotten. There is not a complot to prevent the youth of America from listening to certain bands. There is too much money to be made. Period.

Have a Nice Conspiracy,
  17. RLT

Jul 10, 2004
    South Central OH
    Well both events seem to boil down to promoter incompetence.

In Utah failing to know enough to obtain the required permits.

In Oregon failing to have the funds required.

Never claim conspiracy to any thing that can be explained by gross stupidity.
  18. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Music festival goes...

rave goes:

tns tns tns tns tns tararampa tararampa... insk insk insk insk insk insk the system is down the system is down insk insk insk insk doof doof doof doof doof doof doof

19. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    I love a good conspiracy. Most of you guys think that deal in Utah was a joke, I don't. The festival's acts were really huge with an enormous fan base and they cancelled it 3 hours before the gates were supposed to open?! That's still pretty fishy. I was thinking they got bullied into pulling the plug - it's not that far fetched. It's the same scenario as the Utah thing. Lots of people gathered in one place...music. There's no Elvis or rock music fad, but the government is trying to crush something.