Few problems w/ my MIA jazz neck (minor)

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by smitcat, Apr 4, 2005.

1. smitcat

Aug 5, 2003
    Ithaca, NY
    Well, i put a set or Rotosound strings on my jazz, and absolutely love them. But as i was playing yesterday, i noticed that at the 12th fret, the string buzzes a little when i am holding it down at the 15th (on the e string) and a little on the a. now its not terrible, but i would like to have it fixed. But I am not sure which to do.

A- adjust the truss rod a bit. (which brings another question, do you still turn it to the right on a fender jazz, where the hole is at the end of the neck, by the body?)
    B- raise the action slightly.

I looked through the sticky, and checked the relief in the a string. i think a little more could be there, it only moves a hair. I could take it in to my friend but i am really running out of time. I have a gig on weds, practice tomorrow, and I am moving on friday, so i don't have much free time.
    Thanks for any help,
  2. I typically keep my action low on my basses. I found that the best amount of relief for my basses is about 0.022-0.025" at the 12th fret. I like my action aprox. 3/32" or less off the last fret depending on the bass and depending on which string I am measuring.
  3. Loosen the strings and turn the truss rod nut counter-clockwise to allow the string tension to pull more relief into the neck. Check your tuning, then recheck the gap with the feeler gauge and re-adjust as needed. 1/4 turn at a time, retune and check.