1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Few problems w/ my MIA jazz neck (minor)

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by smitcat, Apr 4, 2005.

1. smitcat

smitcat

Aug 5, 2003
    Ithaca, NY
    Well, i put a set or rotosound strings on my jazz, and absolutely love them. But as i was playing yesterday, i noticed that at the 12th fret, the string buzzes a little when i am holding it down at the 15th (on the e string) and a little on the a. now its not terrible, but i would like to have it fixed. But I am not sure which to do.

A- adjust the truss rod a bit. (which brings another question, do you still turn it to the right on a fender jazz, where the hole is at the end of the neck, by the body?)
    or
    B- raise the action slightly.

I looked through the sticky, and checked the relief in the a string. i think a little more could be there, it only moves a hair. I could take it in to my friend but i am really running out of time. I have a gig on weds, practice tomorrow, and I am moving on friday, so i don't have much free time.
    Thanks for any help,
    Mike

2. I typically keep my action low on my basses. I found that the best amount of relief for my basses is about 0.022-0.025" at the 12th fret. I like my action aprox. 3/32" or less off the last fret depending on the bass and depending on which string I am measuring.

3. Loosen the strings and turn the truss rod nut counter-clockwise to allow the string tension to pull more relief into the neck. Check your tuning, then recheck the gap with the feeler gauge and re-adjust as needed. 1/4 turn at a time, retune and check.