1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Few Questions about a Pre-2010 USA Dlx P bass and "Relicing"

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LanOsb133, Oct 29, 2013.

1. So as some of you may know, I own a 2002 American DLX P bass with an all maple 5 bolt neck. (I don't post often so most of you probably don't know.) Anyways I have a few questions and haven't been able to find many answers.

1st) What finish was used on these necks, and/or where can I find out what finish was used on these necks (if no one knows.)?

2nd) How long would it take to get that "broken in/reliced" neck, and are there any ways of achieving this faster. I already play with dirty hands and I really don't want to wait 25+ years, but I also don't want to take sand paper to my baby. I'm open to any crazy suggestions that work (like using certain oils to break down the finish, or something like that.) And I don't mind it taking a few years (anything under 10) to work. If the neck is unable to be broken in what should it be refinished in?
    Also, before you say it, yes I'm a bit impatient but thats what happens when I was raised playing a reliced strat with that perfect broken in neck. :D

3rd) For those that own the pre-2010 USA Dlx, there are four knobs, Volume, Pickup mixer, Bass and treble stacked then one last one. I think its called the Mid Boost, but I can't remember. Anyways does the "mid boost" act as a second volume knob for you guys? When mine is all the way down, it quiets the entire output compared to when it is all the way up... I have an extra set of pots for my bass but don't want to install them unless necessary. Also it seems to add a bit of distortion when all the way up...

Anyways, thanks for taking the time to read I know I ask too many questions but I like to cover as many scenarios as possible that way I don't have to make multiple threads. :)

2. I don't own the bass you've got, but since nobody else has chimed in:

1) Not sure on this bass, can you describe the finish?

2) If it's a thicker glossy finish and you're wanting a less-sticky feeling to it, you can take a finer-grade steel wool to it and that should "break it in" a bit. Just make sure to cover your pickups with tape or something so any fibers or whatever from the steel wool that falls off doesn't stick to the magnets.

3) that has always been an issue with me with any bass that has a 3 band eq. Boosting or cutting mids or lows is essentially adding or cutting volume from those frequencies. So boosting mids adds more output from the bass and you have to adjust the gain on your amp or volume on the bass accordingly. And cutting mids really takes a lot out of your sound leaving it empty and thin if you cut it a lot.

I just think that with 3 band eq's, you really have to get used to messing with the volume knob to compensate for the adjustments you made in the eq.

3. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Chamonix Mont-Blanc
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    Hi there

I am going to assume that Fender didn't drastically change things from 2002 to 2005 when I have some experience with the Deluxe line of p-basses. So take my comments with that caveat.

I am pretty sure the body is done in poly and the neck in a satin urethane. The beauty and the bitch of both of throes is that they won't change much over the life of the instrument. How they play and feel out of the box Is pretty much how they will play and feel in 20 years.

The fine steel wool suggestion is about as good as you are going to get.