Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Few Questions about a rig....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by schmittuml, Feb 1, 2005.

1. schmittuml

schmittuml Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2004
    Lowell, MA
    :help: Ive been playin for about 5 years now, am in a band thats going on tour, but i dont have a rig. I was looking for a 4X10 with a 1X18 or 1X15...anyone have any good suggestions for a solid setup? im tlkain head to toe cabinets pre amp power amp everything money isnt too much of a factor seeing as i am looking for a rig for the next stage of my bass career........suggest your rigs please. Thanks in advance.

:bag:

2. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    What kind of tone are you shooting for? What kind of music is it? What kind of bass do you play? What playing styles do you utilize? The list goes on, we need more info sir!

3. Head: Gallien-Krueger 2001RB or 1001RB-II

Cabs: GK 4x10RBH and 1x15RBH, GK 8x10SBX, GKNeo2x12 and Neo1x15, or even a GK Neo4x12

My GK gear has done it all. Different styles of music and 150+ road dates a year. Simply awesome.

Heres a link to Gallien-Krueger products and specs

4. schmittuml

Oct 25, 2004
    Lowell, MA
    IM looking to be gettin a modulus quantam or flea bass with this so maybe something else as of know i just for a fender jazz. I play straight forward rock with the band im in but it changes up, lookig for somehting with a good slap tone for future.....looking for a stu hamm on the satch DVD tone, with flea and mike gordon thrown in there. I play slap, tapping, sumn with good harmonics, straight forward im lookin to take a lot of lessons and learn everything i can ive made bass the biggest part of my life besides school and my girl.

5. schmittuml

Oct 25, 2004
    Lowell, MA
    bump

6. fatdawg

fatdawg

Sep 7, 2004
    SVT IV Preamp, QSC 2200 power amp, SWR Goliath 1 x 15, and the 4 x 10 would be a toss up, I am partial to my Hartke, however you would probably get a more versatile, and warmer tone with an Ampeg cab.

On a side note, I used to play a rig utilizing a Bag End 1 x 18"(friggin huge tone) and a SWR 6 x 10" Goliath the head was a G & K 1001 and it was a huge sound. I wish I still had it.

F

7. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Gallien-Krueger might be a good route to go, but it depends on whether you're looking for a warmer, rounder sound ala Ampeg, Aguilar or something more mid rich and defined like GK, or perhaps SWR might work for you too if you like slapping. My best advice is to go to some stores and test out everything you can, no matter what the name or pricetag is cuz you never know what will work for you. Besides, it doesn't matter what we think it's what sounds right to you bro, you have to play it everyday. Good luck with the search.

8. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I have been extremely impressed with the the Schroeder Cabinets . Everything I have read and heard from them is amazing. My next upgrade will include at least 2. If you are looking for seperat units pre/amp, The Alembic pre's are quite exceptional. Road tested and very high quality. Amps - you are going to need something versitile and powerful - Pick one. Stay away from cheapy's. ROAD CASES... Do yourself a favor and drop some dough on cases. You and your back will be happy with quality wheels under cases.
    One thing I learned after a 2 year tour of the Southland is: Buy things to last and be responsible for your ****. It just works better that way~~~ Rock ON :bassist:

9. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    geepers creepers dude - go out and try as much as you can

biggest thing is i'd say get somehting that can put out at least 400 watts into the net impedance of the cab(s) you're going to use.

10. schmittuml

Oct 25, 2004
    Lowell, MA
    I am clearly gonna roadtest everythign my buddy is lendin my his fleabass to get used to graphite and **** and im bringi it all around New England (im in the Boston area) and just playin every music store every cab preamp i can. Honestly i know jack**** about preamps and ohms and all that **** so im on a hunt to get **** ready for summer....im doin a lot of research through the gear reviews and forums but i wish i had like someone to sit down with and discuss. Thanks for all the help so far, any other suggestions more than welcome.

11. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I'm a recent Mesa/Boogie convert, so my suggestion would be a Mesa/Boogie, M-Pulse 600, Big Block 750 or 400+. Now pair that with a Mesa/Boogie Road Ready cab (has the cabinet built into a road case, perfect for touring), my preference would be the powerhouse 1000 cab. Its a 4x10 and a 1x15 in a single enclosure.