Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

few questions about avatar

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TooL_051685, Jun 23, 2005.

1. TooL_051685

TooL_051685

Jan 19, 2005
    well, i know i'm gonna be cursed for not finding some of these answers in a search, but when i search avatar all i get are a bunch of recommendations for avatar cabs.

I was just wondering if someone could give me a lil run down about the company(i couldnt find much other than descriptions and prices on their site.) But i've noticed that their cabs seem to be way cheaper in price than many of their competitors, but they seem to be loved by people around here. I was wondering if maybe they're so much cheaper because you can order factory direct.

So arethey really are great cabs or are they just "great for the money." I dont think any of the music retailers near me carry these and they seem to be a small company, so i won't really get to hear one unless i buy one.
    How do they compare to other cabinets such as swr/gallien kreuger/ampeg?

i'm considering the B410 PRO

if this really is a quality cabinet i may purchase it, its extremely cheap, especially considering i was thinking about buying an ampeg 410 for $600.

thanks for any and all help

2. wyleeboxer

wyleeboxer Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2005
    Orange County, CA
    Ive had many cabs in the past and I can say that the Avatar's are right there as far as quality not the best but more then good enough. As for sound I got 2 2x10 pro's and it's as punchy as my Mesa 2x15 was and suits me better (for rock) then my SWR 6x10 cab did. I think the Berg's, Schroeder's etc... are awsome but the Avatar's will get the job done and leave any debate over sound as a matter of taste!

3. Nova

Nova

Apr 19, 2002
    Williamstown, WV
    From what I understand, Avatar is a father and son run business. They build all the cabs in the United States and won't allow other chains to sell them fear that they'll jack up the prices.

They're not just "good for the money." My Avatar cab easily beat out every Ampeg cab I've ever played.

4. TooL_051685

TooL_051685

Jan 19, 2005
    thats good to hear. How long have you had the avatars? Can anyone thats had them for a few years tell me if their durability is as good as their sound?

5. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I'd take an Avatar over most Ampegs any day. I believe that sevral people on the board have been using Avatar for years and had good durability.

6. TooL_051685

TooL_051685

Jan 19, 2005
    thanks for the replies guys
    does anyone know the sensitivity of the B410 PRO?

7. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
  8. Matteran

Matteran Banned

Jan 1, 2005
    Santa Rosa, CA
    I've done a lot of testing of different cabs. Mesa's and Ampeg's mostly. The Avatar is somewhere above Ampeg and a little below the Mesa, and considering the price, that's excellent.

Another awesome aspect of Avatar is Dave. Dave is a great guy. I recently broke all the speakers in my 4x10 (long story, just had an equipment failure, and caused the speakers to peak at loud volumes, and harsh frequencies), I explained the situation to Dave, and he gave me a great deal at replacing them.

9. Nova

Nova

Apr 19, 2002
    Williamstown, WV
    First of all, I have no experience with any Avatar 410. I'm a twelve kinda guy.

But to answer your other questions...

I've had my Avatar since April, and besides how heavy it is, I haven't had a single problem. It doesn't fart out at loud volumes and has no problem with the low-B. It was perfect in every band situation I've been in, too.

IMO you can't go wrong with an Avatar.

10. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Unless much has changed since I had a nice long talk with Dave a few years ago...Avatar employs three people, Dave, his son and "Spence".

Dave Noss is a guitarist who moved to Idaho from California to find a better life. He told me that he also owns the company that makes the cabinets for "Avatar" (which is why they don't do custom work). He has an outside company assemble jack plates for him.

At Avatar, they install the drivers, jack plate and grille (not sure about corners and handles. Plus they box 'em up real nice and ship them almost before you call (I once ordered some tweeters and caps, called back not even 5 minutes later to get some more stuff and they already had my package sealed and ready to go).

Avatar used to sell guitar, bass and PA cabinets but the PA stuff dropped off in '02 or so (about the same time that I started buying from Avatar). I believe that (thanks to us :hyper: ) and maybe Harmony Central readers, Avatar sells more bass cabinets than guitar cabinets.

I've owned a bunch of different ones the original Compact 15, the first production B112, a pair of B212s, CB115H and presently have a pair (one front ported, one rear ported) B210 Delta and am very happy with them. In hindsight, I wish I had kept the little cabinets...couldn't get any more portable than that and a C15/B112 stack put an Eden 210XLT to shame (IMHO).

Good luck!!!

11. The B410 Pro kicks butt! Period
    Very sensitive. Speakers are punchy and LOUD.

Gary

12. TooL_051685

TooL_051685

Jan 19, 2005
    thanks guys. think I have finally made up my mind about a cabinet. :bassist:

13. Sorry to chime in so late...I think you got your questions answerd already. But yeah...I've had my Avatar B212 since April 2004.

I sit a Shroeder 4x10 on top of it and fuel it with an Ampeg SVT Classic. It's an excellent cab as a stand alone!

You won't be dissapointed. I've played several gigs with it and a million rehearsals. No issues at all!

There's no need to hesitate, especially if price is a major factor...these are excellent cabs. But I don't like the tweeter..it hisses too much, too easily, so I turn it to 9 o'clock and just use the Shroeder's tweeter.