Few Questions

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Microbass, Jun 30, 2002.

1. Hey people!

I was just messing around with my bass ealier, and I took off the bridge. I found that one of the wires from the volume control goes thru a tunnel and comes out under the bridge, where it is stuck to the body.

I have a P-bass copy and the anatomy is just the same. (Jack>Tone>Volume>Pickups).

What purpose does this count? And if I buy a new bridge, will that change the tone or sound at all?

And I found a set of brand new roundwound bronze Rotto Sounds, medium guage, will these be fine with my fretted? and are they good for sliding? LIke slowounds.. (they wont rip my fingers apart, will they? :))
  2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    The wire is for grounding - you want to be sure this makes good contact with your bridge.

Yes, changing your bridge is said to change your tone, but I'll leave that to people that know more than I. No experience with Rotosounds, sorry.
  3. Post your string question in the "Strings" forum and you'll get more response.
  4. OK, someone just suggested in another thread that there could be something wrong with my saddles becuase of constant strings snapping. I wouldnt say that I play very aggresivly, but sometimes i get out of hand..

What should I lok for on the saddles that might be tearing the strings? And what can/should I do?
  5. check forrough edges on the grooves for the saddles... if there are take it to a tech he can file them off for you.........might cost al ittle bit but probably not much.
  6. I have some expierience and so does my dad, so I think we should be ok.

If by aciident the grooves get a bit bigger, is that really a bad thing?

and thanks :)
  7. nahh you can just get bigger strings or leave as is... but it wouldnt take much to get rid of the sharp edges... on the bridge maybe two strokes of a metal file.... so i dont think you will beable to make the groove significantly better....
  8. I have expierience.. Don't mena I'm good at anything. ;) :p

thanks for the advice