1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fewer basses, more bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by solderjunkie, Oct 6, 2013.

1. solderjunkie

solderjunkie

Jan 27, 2008
    Nashville TN
    Strange feeling I've been having as of late. I find myself so distracted by my instruments and my penchant for finding/building/buying instruments that I rarely play my instruments. I find myself making adjustments to action, cleaning or replacing strings, and shopping for gadgets and new instruments. I have several amplifiers and effects that share the same distractive quality.

I want to be a bass player instead of a bass collector. I have one bass and amp that I play 95% of the time. I have three others that are basically wall-art that distract me from actually playing.

Has anyone here "cleaned house" to the point of owning one bass and one amplifier?

I'm thinking of selling all and keeping my SR5, Markbass LMII and Mesa 112 cabinet.

2. Mike M.

Mike M.

Feb 14, 2010
    Brother, your not alone. I've got SO much stuff....guitar and bass that has GOT to go. I went on a total nut a while back and bought all kinds of stuff. It's a long story but I can now see how I was "looking for something."

But I do have a few things that are keepers. My SR505 is my main player, but my MIJ Classic 70's P bass and my American Standard Jazz bass aren't going anywhere.

3. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

I kind of see your point. I try to limit my gear, but that's just because I'm not a collector. I don't like to own stuff that I have no plan on using fairly regularly. That said: while there are downsides to collecting -- it takes money, and storage space -- there's nothing inherently wrong with it.

No doubt some put more emphasis on gear than talent, but that has nothing to do with the amount of gear they own. Some of the best bassists I know have huge gear collections. One comes to the local blues jam with a different bass each night, so props to him for spreading the love around.

I think this is a bad idea, the main reason being that you should always own backups in case something happens to your primary bass or amp. In 30+ years I haven't experienced many failures, but each time they happened it was much easier for me to go to my own backup while my bass or amp was in the repair shop. No guarantee you'll get something you like if you have to borrow or rent.

4. mark beem

mark beem I'm alive and well. Where am I? Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    I'm in the process of doing that very thing right now with my basses. I had close to thirty at one time. Im down to eight at the moment. I eventually want to get down to three basses (four max).

I only have one amplifier at the moment so that's not an issue.

5. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    i've made an effort to play as much as possible recently and that means informal jams, structured lessons, and band practice
    basically anything to keep me from over obsessing about some pickup, wood, or neck profile that would improve my tone or playing

6. ROOTSnFIFTHS

ROOTSnFIFTHS Low-end Lover since '78!

Oct 25, 2012
    NJ to Sin City
    It is a great idea. I have found myself doing everything but playing at times. After realizing this I stuck to playing one or two and stopped searching for the latest _______....fill in the blank. I play more than ever now.

Now I stare at just under 10 basses and wonder what to sell. My goodness it is hard to part with anything! Especially in the Fender world where not all Fenders are the same, even in the same model family! I have instruments I have hand picked from many of the same model to get 'that one'.
    That is where I have a hard time moving anything out.

Honestly I think 2 basses are probably all you need. Well...fretless though.....OK maybe 3 is all one would need.

7. Yep, I'm down to one bass and one amp. Sold everything else off. I was up to 7 basses and 3 amps at one point but that was just overkill. The other basses would just sit in their cases. I'm not a collector, so I don't really enjoy having things for the sake of just having them. Instruments are made to be used. Worried me a little at first to go back to only one of each but I had one bass and one amp for 25 years and didn't think a thing about it. Its kind of nice to focus on one instrument and really get to know it well.

8. Marko 1

Marko 1

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    Some of us are more gear-head than others.

I don’t think that getting rid of some basses or gear will get someone to play more. I get bored with whatever I’m playing, typically after a couple months, and it’s nice to have something else to pick up and re-appreciate.

And I started keeping some of my basses and guitars in plain sight on stands and wall hangers. I enjoy seeing them, and I think it actually inspires me to practice/play more. :)