FF XIII

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by SSINTENSE, Dec 24, 2009.

1. Holy War

Holy War

Sep 18, 2008
    VA Beach
    this thread could use a bump!

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Well guys, I'm 6 hours into the game... and so far I'm a fan...

FF games have always started sort of slow with a ton of backstory, and this is no exception. The Paradigm Shifts take a ton of getting used to, but I'm starting to get the hang of it.

My personal favorite setup was FFVIII with the GF's, but this one's certainly a keeper.

3. Simo98

Simo98

Jun 18, 2009
    QLD, Australia
    once im finished re-playing both KOTORs im going to go buy FF13, haven't played any of them since 10.

4. Holy War

Holy War

Sep 18, 2008
    VA Beach
    I got it today as well, and am 3 hours in. I really like the story and characters and graphics so far, but Im starting to wonder when Ill be able to really start building my characters? So far there has been no actual character leveling or grid update system or what have you. If it doesnt change in the next couple of hours, Im going to be upsat (my understanding, is that it will though).

5. I haven't played a FF game in quite a while, since I've been Sony-less for a long time. I'm looking forward to finally getting the chance to play it since it's on the 360 as well. It will probably be a little while before I purchase it though, I'm way too swamped with work this semester.

6. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    So, hows that combat?

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Holy War... you can start building your characters more around the 4-5 hour mark using the Crystarium system... it's a lot like the Sphere system for FFX.

So far, so good... there are some cool enemies that require Paradigm Shifts in order to beat them, and there are three way battles where you're battling two sets of enemies that are battling each other... keep battling the stronger of the two, so by the time the other party realizes you're attacking them, their health is completely depleted.

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

It's funny how nobody seems to want to commit as to whether it's any good or not..? I like "proper" RPGs and have always been fascinated by Final Fantasy as a glimpse into Japanese culture.

Japanese RPGs are certainly an aquired taste and this one is very "strict" and I also find a lot of the characters pretty annoying...:meh:

I prefer RPGs wher you can wander about, do your own thing and build up characters as you want to - whereas this is very linear and it feels like you are playing an extended tutorial for many hours - you will do this - it's like being at school and told "do as as I say" in a class!

Weird - but also intriguing and despite how much I hate this approach, I still feel drawn to go on...?

I think I will actually enjoy the expansion packs to Dragon Age more though...:eyebrow:

9. Holy War

Holy War

Sep 18, 2008
    VA Beach
    fixed :D

10. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Bruce, I feel mostly the same way you do. I'm really enjoying the game as I hit about the 10 hour mark last night. It's a great story, great graphics, I just miss some of the side quests from running around the map and simply leveling up. I miss random encounters, and I'm wondering how I'm supposed to master my roles without it.

11. There's no random encounters???? Awesome! :D

Random encounters are one of the main reasons why I prefer western RPGs over JRPGs. Guess now I have to play this one.

12. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    I despise the Final Fantasy games (they're just so "out there"), but I approve of this:

[​IMG]

13. Have to disagree there, I thought 9 was terrible. I much prefered 10 to 9.

I only got this yesterday, but I'm enjoying it so far. Though I do hope the difficulty ramps up a bit.

I hope the rumours of a remake of FF7 are true, that would be awesome :)

14. I'm about 30 hours in at this point, and trust me, the whole game changes quite significantly past a certain point. Grinding is possible, the difficulty ramps quite a bit, etc. I'm thoroughly enjoying this.

15. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

I am at about 18 hours now and it does get a lot better - especially when you get Fang, who is pictured above..;)

16. Bruce Lindfield

I just had a break from FF to download Dragon Age "Awakenings" expansion pack from the Playstation network - very impressive and a nice change to be able to wander about again and have the more open combat style....:)

17. Buchada Azeda

Buchada Azeda

Mar 25, 2009
    Brazil
    IMO, Square-Enix went downhill after FFX. FFXII was nice, but not as great as classics like Legend of Mana or FFVIII. Based on some posts here, I'm gonna try the new one and see if it's that good.

18. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    I am 60 hours into the game. Playing a "NewGame+" now, after you defeat the final boss you can reload into the Chapter where all the sidequests (and grinding) are. Its quite funny that those dinosaurs who can smoke you the first time just by stepping on the ground (you take around 1000+ damage) suddenly aren't so tough on the NewGame+ (i'm around 12,000 hp now).

There are other dinosaurs that deal 10,000+ damage per step, so there's still a large chunk of game that i haven't even touched on.

That being said, I played and completed FF I, II, VIII, and played VII and IX, and i like FFXIII. The battle system is a lot more exciting, even though you can't micromanage the actions of your party members any more.

And for those complaining about the "linearity" of the game, I'd much rather have a well told, linear game than something like GTA or infamous, which i never managed to like. FFXIII's story isn't that bad. Also when you get to the rolling plains of Chapter 11 (and fully explore all the nooks and crannies), that one map is epic.

19. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I'm on Chapter 10 and I'm on the fence about it. It's better than II, VIII, X, X-2, and XII, but that's not saying much. I don't really mind the linearity too much, but the one thing that I can't say I'm a fan of is how simple it is. The battle system is very well designed and I do love the Paradigm system, but the fights themselves are not difficult at all. The stats are way too simple, too - I'm used to having to balance 6+ different stats, but with this there's only 3 (strength, magic, HP). So when I'm trying to decide between Hope and Vanille the differences that would seem minor in other installments become that much more of a factor. Yet despite this I'm having fun, so I guess that's what matters in the end.

Oh, and Hope needs to die. I mean now. I don't know what Japan's obsession with whiney angst-driven teenage ********s with needless daddy issues is, but I don't like it. Even after his character develops more I still don't like him, or Snow for that matter. Granted I don't use tanks in RPGs so I wasn't going to use him anyway, but his "I'm the hero" nonsense is just stupid.

20. PurpleGiant

PurpleGiant

Apr 1, 2010
    Salem,OR
    VII and VIII were the best by far. Open world, tons of things to hunt and collect, interesting story, plenty of characters. I started playing 9 and 10 (X, whatever) and I couldn't get into them.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 24, 2021