1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

FgN (Fujigen) Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ROON, Sep 7, 2008.

1. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Has anyone played one of these? I did a search but didn't find much on the brand of basses, just the factory itself.

They are made by the Japanese Fujigen Factory which produces guitars and basses for lots of different brands. FgN is their "house" brand, I guess you could call it. I have been looking at MIJ Fenders and I stumbled across these, judging by the pictures they seem to be of high quality. Maybe a nice alternative? :)

Links to sales:
    http://www.kurosawagakki.com/tags/search/4/2352/index.html
    http://www.apollonmusic.com/fujigen/fgn/FgN-jb.html
    http://www.fujigen.co.jp/exp/scategory.aspx?ct2=75

Here is some eye candy;

jb10mashbk3.
    img3_18708.

img4_24176.
    img2_24176.

2. kenjikun

kenjikun

Apr 27, 2008
    Japan
    Fujigen is actually the factory that manufactured the "lawsuit guitars and basses". Then in 1982 Fender USA commissioned them to produce the first MIJ Fenders. After the manufacturing was transferred to Dyna Gakki, Fujigen continued to manufacture high-end guitars and basses. One of their flagship model is the History series.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    So it is safe to assume that anything (or most things) that come out of Fujigen will be good quality?

Ooo shiney! :p

I couldn't find any info on this "History" series, could you link me to some? All I could find was a few electric guitar reviews. The Fujigen site doesn't mention them at all. Are they rare/hard to find?

4. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
  5. kenjikun

kenjikun

Apr 27, 2008
    Japan
    Right, History is expensive, almost same as Hand-made Bacchus. The link is right, I found History at Shimamura store when I bought my Fender there. Not sure if Ishibashi sells them.

6. kenjikun

kenjikun

Apr 27, 2008
    Japan
    YES! Fender commissioned them to make the first MIJ Fender so it just showed the excellent craftmanship of the luthiers.

bassbully likes this.
  7. BassmanM

BassmanM

Feb 17, 2011
    Hamburg, Germany
    I have to resurrect this thread, as I acquired a wonderful FGN Neo Classic JB recently. Any other potential FGN club members here?? Here's mine next to its brother.

gmqdhyq31h1.

nftzht4udbuc.

jp8848 likes this.
  8. BassmanM

BassmanM

Feb 17, 2011
    Hamburg, Germany
    Nobody?? :woot:

9. bh2

bh2

Jun 16, 2008
    Oxford, UK
    Very swish... I believe my Squier Silver Series Precision was made at the FugiGen.

10. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    FGN; I liked the ones I tried very much!

11. Bluebassmike

Bluebassmike

Dec 21, 2013
    Hey I know this is very late but I was just wondering how your FgN bass plays/sounds in comparison to your fender?

12. BassmanM

BassmanM

Feb 17, 2011
    Hamburg, Germany
    Hi Mike, thanks for asking. The FGN is top notch in many respects. It was normally priced near the Fender American Standards, but I got it at 2/3 of the price because FGN has discontinued the "Neo Classic" series. As far as the build quality is concerned, it is more or less on par with the US Fenders. For example, the maple used for the neck is very nice and straight. The fretwork is excellent too, you cannot see the lower end of the frets (the part in the fretboard - is this understandable?).

The sound is what you would expect from a jazz bass type, although this one has more top end than I have heard on other jazzes with alder/rosewood. Compared to the Fender (MiM standard), the sound of the FGN is heavier (or beefier), which I believe is mainly due to the pickups, those in the Fender imho seem to be the weak point, at least in that particular bass. Build quality of the Fender is very good too, the neck is close to "to die for". However, I had the feeling that one jazz bass is enough, so I ended up selling the Fender a few months ago. If I ever get another jazz, it would have to be ash/maple (the Fender was alder/maple). I would probably also consider an FGN with that combination, but they are hard to find now.

Overall impression: High-value jazz basses I can highly recommend, if you do not mind the name on the headstock and do not care for resale value.

P.S. And I like the threaded saddles which enable you to make the strings go right through the center of the pole pieces.

13. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    I have had several basses from them and other top Japanese companies and I will always say they are some very fine basses for sure.

14. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    previated devert
    Between my MIJ Squiers and MIJ Ibanez basses, I have long been a Fugijen fan.

Nice looking bass, Bassman. Congrats.

15. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    I had a few MIJ Squiers form them best basses I ever owned even over my MIA from the 70's thru 2000's models. I have a Ibanez from them also ..great bass.

16. Old Blastard

Old Blastard

Aug 18, 2013
    Virginia
    I have the black expert jazz and I love it. Also have 3 FGN made fenders and the quity is excellent.

BassmanM likes this.
  17. MateusRosengarten

MateusRosengarten

Aug 3, 2015
    I bougth my FGN a few days ago .. Very solid bass.I recomend it

Attached Files:

18. MateusRosengarten

MateusRosengarten

Aug 3, 2015
    I bougth my FGN a few days ago .. Very solid bass.I recomend it

Old Blastard likes this.
  19. MateusRosengarten

MateusRosengarten

Aug 3, 2015
    Does Anyone knows what pickups comes in fujigen jazz bass Standard?

20. soundtim

soundtim

Nov 19, 2010
    Hamburg
    Hello, I was lucky to get hold of a nearly mint condition FGN Neo Classic JB 70s Ltd Edition in Sonic Blue. Great Bass! I'm wondering whether anybody here could tell me if it's worth to upgrade the pickups. I've been thinking of putting some Bartolini 9J1 L/S in it. What do you think? Keep the stock ones or get the Barts?