1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

FGN guitars...has anyone here got any experience with them?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cnltb, Nov 1, 2010.

1. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    I was just told about these and to me they do look interesting, but I know nothing about them.
    Has anyone else here possibly tried these and would share their thoughts ?

http://www.fgnguitars.com/pb_all.html

2. MUSHROOMSeAcOw

MUSHROOMSeAcOw

Aug 1, 2010
    Georgia
    The biggest issue to US customers is availability. They have no US or UK distributors.

3. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    None in the UK or US???
    That's weird, no?
    There's a shop in Germany that seems to have them.
    A place called music schmidt(?) in Frankfurt...they also did quite a funny video review which is sitting on youtube now... I am interested in these basses even though I have seen the video.
    These basses also seem reasonably priced...

4. i_g55

i_g55

May 26, 2005
    istanbul
    FGN is the brand of the Fujigen Corp., which was one of the largest OEM manufacturers for Fender during the 80's. If I remember correctly, the "MIJ" Fenders were manufactured by Fujigen and the "CIJ" ones were made by Tokai (pls correct me if I'm wrong).

The brand is quite new in the market. They are in search of a distributor in the US but no results yet.

I currently use a P-bass by FGN (NCPB-10R/BK) and they were so kind to include me in their featuring artists page (http://www.fgnguitars.com/artist.html#Ilker) even though I'm just a local rock bassist in Istanbul :) We have a local FGN distributor here in Turkey and I wanted to give it a try.

I can say that I'm quite impressed with this bass. I used to have a CIJ Fender '57 Reissue P bass in the past, which I admired a lot but had to let go because of financial reasons. This one is more like a '62 reissue (alder/rosewood, with a slimmer neck compared to the "baseball bat" of the '57). Build quality is very nice, and the tone is quite satisfactory. It's a P-bass in the end, no rocket science, and this one gives you a nice vintage P sound that can easily fit in numerous styles of music.

5. fgnbtz

fgnbtz

Nov 26, 2008
    Tampa, FL
    I'm curious if more people around here own one and if we can start a club :)

6. Continuum

Continuum

Oct 31, 2005
    Just to bring this thread up-to-date, FGN's site now says that they have a US distributor, US Music Corp (of Warwick, Eden, Washburn fame).

It will be interesting to see how much these things list for. Probably an outrageous $1000-2000.

7. Just spotted this brand sold at a shop in here St. Petersburg - curious about it, too.

8. jmcbade

jmcbade

Aug 11, 2012
    I own a FGN Strat. It's an awesome instrument. FAR better than any current Fender - even USA made ones.

I own a very sweet Bass by another Japanese company already, but if I needed a bass, I would not hesitate seriously considering an FGN. They make some of the best production guitars available in my humble opinion. Really above average fit/finish and tone in their products. Don't shy away because it might be a brand you have not heard of before. I looked at one today and it was beautiful. Consistent with my experience of my FGN Strat.

The thing about Japanese guitars though, is often the pots/switches and PUs are not good at all. FGN uses US made electronics in their better grade guitars though as a "stock" feature.