Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

FI-NA-LLY!!! a nice pic of my new bass(es)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by john turner, Jan 9, 2001.

1. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    after much gnashing of teeth and howling at the moon, i finally have a pic of my new 8 string fretted, as well as the fretless maple neck that is going on my bolt-on.

[​IMG]

the top is my 8 string fretted, 36 fret, walnut body with purple heart and walnut neck and fretboard. the single large cutaway is for the musicman style SD basslines pickup, like in my fretless. this bass will be outfitted the same way in fact-

[​IMG][​IMG]

the neck below it is going to be a replacement neck for my bolton, above on the right.

i decided to make it fretless after bill already cut the fingerboard, so he's going to put maple slices as fillers for the lines, which should make them practically invisible (hopefully - i usually don't like lines). the neck will then be gloss finished, like all my other fretlesses. this will make this bass look alot more like my doubleneck - WOO HOO!!! :D :D

anyway, please excuse the outburst, i just wanted to share -i've been waiting for pics or something about this bass for a year! i'm as giddy as a school girl. :D could you tell?

2. Niels Keijzer

Niels Keijzer Guest

Nov 27, 2000
    All that wood...man, now I know the real reason why the Sahara desert is expanding!

Nice Basses, John!

[Edited by Niels Keijzer on 01-09-2001 at 07:23 AM]

3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Looks nice, JT...that's got to be fun to play.

4. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    Holey socks! Nice one, John.

5. if God played bass i bet it would look like one of these.

6. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    John, I think they have drugs for your condition:D...Just kiddin', man! Looks wild!

7. nice basses!! a little bit TOO nice... hmmmm... thinking...

I´ve never actually seen any of your basses in real life... where´s that copy of photoshop?! :D

I can see it clearly! this is a Fender MIM Jazz!! you´ve just scanned it up and edited it in photoshop!! you CHEAP bastard!!

:D

8. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga

thanks guys, (very funny, the_bass :D)

9. JT, the walnut body on that 8-string is gorgeous.. and I can see how cool the fretless neck is gonna look on the 7.
    So when will you actually get them?

10. Hey John I came across this at harmony-central.com and thought you may be interested
    Conklin GT7-Fretless

Asking Price: US$750
    Condition: Excellent
    Description:

Conklin 7-string fretless bass, excelent condition. needs a home where it will be used. Has a nik on the top of the
    headstock only viewable from behind. Pictues at http://www.geocities.com/gonagetacirrus/7string1.jpg
    Has conklin ultralite case made by modern case company (a $150 value) email if interested. I can start shipping on
    January 15. Price includes shipping handling.

Seller: Patrick Ormiston, (802)654-6579
    E-mail: pormiston@smcvt.edu (Profile)
    Post Date: 1/8/2001

11. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    :rolleyes: some time this millenium no doubt. i don't know. the shop's just been really slow. this is totally out of character for bill - the doubleneck only took about 4 months.

i guess i should be happy for him, his success has no doubt placed greater strains on his time, but i sure would dig getting that 8 string sometime soon :D.

12. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hey, thanks for keeping an eye open for me. that's a killer price for that bass.

i don't do so well with the GT-7's, due to the wide spacing at the nut. i like the tighter spacing like the BD. in fact, the main reason to get the new neck for my bolt-on was to get a neck with tighter spacing - the neck on their now has wider, p-bass style spacing at the nut, i like j-bass style.

anyway, thanks a lot for thinking about me :D

13. Obsius29A

Obsius29A

Dec 20, 1999
    Huntington, NY
    But I'd be much more interested in hearing clips of your band then pics of your guitars. I'm sure you are a fine player and all, but I'd much rather hear how all this gear is being used than just staring at your plethora of Conklins wondering how you play them. I'm sure this message sounds negative and sarcastic, it's not supposed to, I'm just interested in hearing you, and your site hasn't been updated in ages, as far as I can tell.

14. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    you don't sound like a dick - i'm glad you're interested. the major holdup for having sound samples available is that to do so, i need to mix down our stuff, which is time consuming, and i've been really busy since thanksgiving. (excuses excuses, i know ;) ).

for example, i plan on putting up an mp3 of our instrumental as soon as i can. the song is ~11 minutes long and resides on ~ 32 tracks. the mixing process for this is going to take anywhere from 4 to 8 hours, uninterrupted. i just haven't had the time the past few months, and the other guys haven't either, and besides they don't even know how ;) .

that's not meant to be an excuse, but rather an explanation. i know that to some i might appear to be full of it - lots of pics with no music - but i plan on changing that soon.

once that clip is up, you'll all KNOW without a shadow of a doubt that i am totally full of it. :D

15. Obsius29A

Obsius29A

Dec 20, 1999
    Huntington, NY
    If you've got anything small we can listen to though for the time being, please lemme know! =)

BTW, you can check out my prog band at http://www.echoes-of-eden.com, that site is quite ancient as well, but there is some stuff there. We're going to update it very soon.

16. BaroqueBass

BaroqueBass

Jul 8, 2000
    Salem, OR
  17. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    how about this -

http://lordonly.net/Mp3s/tobit1.mp3

this is a pretty old mix of one of our songs from when we were first composing it. the bass, some of the guitars, and the vocals have been redone, but it is roughly indicative of some of what we sound like.

18. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

John - Simply gorgeous!!! You must be ecstatic!!! A few questions if you have time;

- Quanto $dinero$? (Tacky question, but someone had to ask)

- Are the GT7's made in Korea and all the rest in the US?

- Have Bill & Phil toyed with the idea of one of these mega-string machines based on the old Rickenbacker convertible principle?

- Do you have to rely solely on Conklin for strings? (I haven't investigated basses beyond 6 strings).

Thanks for knocking us OUT!!!

19. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hey man, my pleasure :D

20. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

John, you just live for this stuff, don't you?