Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fiber Glass Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Joe Taylor, Dec 20, 2001.

1. Joe Taylor

Joe Taylor

Dec 20, 2001
    Tracy CA
    About 35 years ago I used a fiber glass bass for about 9 months-- it was a POS (piece of S**T) I was glad to see it go away. It stank, for real, worse than a locker room at half time. And it was real soft you could not get the sound out. Any of you ever see or use one of these things.

Joe

2. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Was it a real acoustic upright with a body made of fibre glass, or an Ampeg Baby Bass or similar electric upright?

3. dhosek

dhosek

May 25, 2000
    Los Angeles, CA
    My grade school had two fiberglass basses. Regular size and shape, just not made of wood. I don't remember much about the sound, but they LOOKED cool. When I first saw an older kid putting away the white one, I KNEW I had to make that bass my own.

-dh

4. Joe Taylor

Joe Taylor

Dec 20, 2001
    Tracy CA
    it was a 3/4 size bass black and shiney and stinky and real soft on volume. as i recall you could get one volume mf no pp no fff just mf.
    Joe

5. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    I've seen one of them, seems like they didn't really go over well. They were certainly created as in inexpensive more durable instrument for the school market.

Fiberglas sousaphones suck, too, though on windy Fall days my right shoulder still aches from carrying around the brass ones 35 yrs ago.

But as it says below, Life is too short for bad tone.

6. dhosek

dhosek

May 25, 2000
    Los Angeles, CA
    Jeze, I'd forgotten that I'd played those too. But that was all the HS had so I had no choice.

I once road the three miles home from school on a bike carrying a sousaphone. Better reactions than I get taking my DB on the bus.

-dh

7. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Were you playing the sousaphone at the time? THAT would be impressive...

8. dhosek

dhosek

May 25, 2000
    Los Angeles, CA
    I don't think so, but it wouldn't have been that difficult. I'd just have to steer with my left hand.

-dh

9. bootsaco

bootsaco

Sep 8, 2001
    Portland, ME
    i have a friend with a fiberglass bass. the top and neck are wood(top plywood), but the rest is fiberglass. no sound to speak of, acoustically, and amplified with an underwood, she needs a big meaty tube amp to get any thickness out of it. it's kinda neat looking, but sounds like butt.
    andy

10. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
  11. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    I didn't try the Quintus bass, but here in France we have the Cosi bass http://www.multimania.com/cosi/contrebasse_baren.htm .
    It sounds good and has no volume problem. The local conservatory of music has one 3/4 and a bunch of kid basses. The smaller ones lack of bottom, just like for smaller wooden instruments.

12. Hi Olivier.

Just stumbled upon this old post of yours.

I think you might be aware of this thread about carbon fibre basses
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=211985&page=1&pp=40

Please join the talk - maybe you would like to tell us some more about the Cosi basses you have met on your way, pros and cons.

13. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    Hi Carb

Thanks for the kind invitation; I don't have much more to say. I chose not to buy one when I was shopping...
    IMHO they are instruments of choice wherever a "combat-zone" type of an axe is needed: school, clubs, army, etc. but the rockabilly guys don't dig them cause they don't have that 50's-60's look. I have never heard one in a jazz context... and don't remember of any comment on how their amped sound sounds. They take the ecological niche of the old US army aluminum basses.

14. To my knowledge the original fiberglass DB was invented by a trombone player friend of mine from Denver named Jerry Finch.
    These basses, like Bob G.s tuba, really sucked. They were on the market in about the late 60's, Totally acoustic. In fact, there's a jazz player here that still uses one.
    Please use the search function on TBDB for just about anything you need. People seem to be allergic to our search function....try fiberglass, Roth Finch, just Roth....

15. Machina

Machina

Aug 1, 2005
    I still own a fiber glass bass. Now I said own, not that I play on one. I started out on my Roth Fiberglass Bass and found it to be an excellent instrument for the starting player from a financial point. The instrument does not have bad tone, it has no tone. I highly recommend pizz over arco for these beast.

I believe it wise to spend only 500 dollars, before making the choice to upgrade to my hand carved bass, which was a lot more expensive.

16. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

That's a classic quote!! :D