Fiber, Slap or Pick?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Basroil, Aug 19, 2005.

1. Basroil

May 25, 2005
    Lake Forest, CA
    I use pick. What about you?

Also, where do you pick your bass? I try to pick it slightly below the pickups, but Im in the habbit of doing it above.
  2. Basroil

May 25, 2005
    Lake Forest, CA
    Crab I mean finger! Sorry! =P
  3. Fiber and slap for me too. Though on a very rare occasion I'll play with a pick (for that palm muted pick sound). Though it feels wierd playing bass with a pick and not a guitar.
  4. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA

Is that like "finger"?
  5. Ego

Jan 10, 2004
    finger, slap, occasionally strum (i'm a primus fan, can ya tell?)

with good thumb technique i can get a real cool dark, near-metal sound when i want it
  6. Supernova67

Jun 21, 2005
    ur not the only one man. fiber, slap and strum here too. maybe a pick if i gotta play someothing extreamly fast.
  7. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification

And try a search, this has been done to death.
  8. Basis Base

Basis Base Life Long Learner

May 21, 2005
    In the order of frequency of use,

Finger - When I'm playing soft, melodic songs.

Pick - When I'm trying to cut thru the mix, mostly rock.

Slap - When I'm trying to impress the guitarist, but just a few notes though.

Heh.. heh.. heh..
  9. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Pardon my ignorance, but what is "Fiber"?
  10. JazzBassvb

Aug 5, 2003
    All of the above. I'll also strum up and down with my hand.

When I pick, I usually have my palm resting on the bridge, so that translates to roughly above the bridge pickup. I like the tension I have there and it sounds better to me. If too treblely, I'll crank it down a bit and it sounds fine.

I just use whatever technique I think will fit better into what I'm doing. I'm trying to get into more of the melodic pop stuff that Marcus Miller does. It's just something I love to hear and would like to add it to my playing.

Before that, I would use finger style to solo and provide background for soloing. Slap and thumbing for fun stuff and for a more 'edgy', treblely sound. I use picks for rock type stuff, but I don't use them much at all.

11. chimp

Dec 4, 2004
    South Africa
    I use Finger when im doing most of my solo stuff and standards and so on Melody stuff. Thumb techniques: slap when im grooving to some funk or i just can't help myself. Double thumbing on rare occasions when i need that my few lil tricks to add spice to the solo. And alot of chord strumming of recent!
  12. OrderingEntropy

Jun 17, 2005
    I use my fingers, slap, and tap in order of frequency. On rare occasions i will use a pick, and move my hand up and down the string [bridge to neck] to get an interesting sound when i turn my peizos up and my magnetic down.

I am, however, starting to tap more and more as i go.
  13. Depending on who we're covering I will use the appropriate style. My preference is finger style. My attack is pretty heavy so it can sometimes sound like a pick.
  14. I use fiber for clearing me up down below. Don't need to often though, I pretty regular. Like a quartz swiss clock actually.

Othewise I use fingers for softer melodic type stuff, and a pick mostly with the band I've been jamming with lately - hard rock stuff that cuts through better with a pick. If I play right, and set up the amp right though, most of the time it doesn't sound to "picky".
  15. mofomage

Jun 18, 2005
    mostly pick, near the bridge or over the pickups. Occasionally fingers for some things, back by the bridge or up on the fret board. And rarely slap, which I'm not tooooo good at, but I can get some bassic slap tones that sound cool.
  16. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Well, to be honest, I don't think we've ever had a "pick vs. fiber" debate before.
  17. Anyone use the down stroke and upstroke on both fingers while playing fingerstyle? If that doesn't make sense, what I mean is for every time you hit the string in a normal fashion, you hit the string again, but with your fingernail on the upstroke. I just started doing this about a week ago, and I found that you can play uber fast without your fingers getting so tired, or using a pick.
    Sorry if that doesn't make sense....
  18. I was doing that just today on a little Alvarez MSB1 (coolest acoustic bass ever!) because using my nails made some really great highs. Not really my thing though. I usually just get more fingers involved.