1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

fiberglass bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by oleman, Apr 18, 2006.

1. oleman

oleman

Apr 2, 2006
    Anybody have any experience with Roth Finch fiberglass basses or fiberglass basses in general?
    Thanks!!

2. mje

mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    Every luthier I've asked has said they're dogs. The one I tried certainly fit that description. Maybe there are some decent ones?

3. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I started out on one, but I don't know if it was a Roth Finch or not. Heavy, very heavy. Virtually indestructable, and repairable by anyone who fixes boats. I'd like to sling a bunch of insults at it, but... it was actually better than a lot of "wood" basses that I played afterwards.

I borrow this very same bass from my old high school when I visit my folks....I use it for family jam sessions. Last trip, I strung it up with Spirocores, and it really isn't half bad. Hey, at least it got me playing when I was a kid.

4. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
  5. oleman

oleman

Apr 2, 2006
    Thanks everyone! The one I was looking at was on ebay and closed at $477, no shipping, pick up only in Denver. Had a very funky 4 footed, adjustable bridge that was retro beautiful. I didn't get th bass, but I'm still looking for something other than wood being as how I travel a lot between the desert and the coast. Maybe aluminum!

6. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    glasser fiberglass upright bass... eek. well, it weighs a ton, but you can use it outdoors- practically indestructable. I f you put in a pickup you might be able to pull some decent tone.

7. glivanos

glivanos Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2005
    Philadelphia Area
    Upton bass has an aluminum bass for sale on their site.

8. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    You would probably be fine with a good laminate bass. There are some great ones out there now.

9. Ever think about a carbon fiber Bass?

10. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$

11. I used one when I very first started learning how to play. If I remember right it sounded pretty good. I don't know what kind it was other than it was a maroonish red color. At the time I wasn't a good judge of sound but as I remember it was fine sounding.

12. Kam

Kam

Feb 12, 2006
    Minneapolis, MN
    I've played one.

Once.

13. yamdigame

yamdigame

Apr 22, 2006
    New Jersey
    I have one, I got it form my old middle school and It doesnt sound half bad, not to mention i can drop it(not that i do) and it wont break. At this point its sitting there not being played, I might hafta find a new home for the beast

14. camCARV03

camCARV03

Apr 23, 2006
    memphis, TN
    fiiberglass bass?! I'd stick to carved or laminates.
    Just my $0.02

15. Willem B

Willem B

Apr 26, 2006
    I saw a fiberglass bass in a shop today. The label inside said "Roth Fiberglass 3/4".

I am looking for a second bass instrument for use in a surfrock band. Since this instrument needs a lot of transporting and has heavy duty requirements i was thinking of buying this fiberglass thingy. Think its more solid than a wooden bass?

The price would be 600€. But i think i could lower it a bit, since the bass needs new strings, bridge and endpin. Since i plan to use it with my amp ( a 1972 Fender Bassman 100) i think it s ok if the bass cant make very much volume.

For this price however i could also buy a new cheap chinese bass in wood.... anybody suggestions? Or experience using a Realist pickup on a fiberglass bass?