Fiberglass Bows

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by JeffreyG, Mar 20, 2002.

1. I know they suck. But I am on a budget and want a bow mainly for practice. I may play in a community orchestra again someday and will look to upgrade then. My question is this: A store here in the Twin Cities area sells fiberglass bows with horsehair for around $85. Lemur has a fiberglass bow listed for $48.75. Lemur doesn't give a brand or specify synthetic or horse hair (I'll ask them before I buy). Do you think this is just because Lemur is a good deal or do you think the $85 dollar bow is any better? Basically, Does it matter with fiberglass? They say you can't polish a turd!

Addition: I've called Lemur - they are Glasser bows (the most common brand of fiberglass I think) and she said they were horse hair but didn't sound 100% sure. Synthetic is not an option, I'll only stoop so low. I'm just nervous, I know Lemur has good prices but I can't find any one who sells a natural hair fiberglass bow for any thing near that price!
  2. Joe Taylor

Joe Taylor

Dec 20, 2001
    Tracy CA
    take a look at

I got a fiberglass bow from them this month for about
    $65.00 it has real horse hair.

They are fast to ship and good to deal with.

They don't stock bows with synthetic hair.

3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The Glasser bows can be bought with synthetic hair or real hair. Lemur only stocks the real hair variety.

I've never seen a fiberglass bow that was NOT a Glasser brand, so I'd say mail order it and save your money.
  4. Jeff,

I have two bows that I will sell. One is a standard length with new hair and the other is a brand new shorter one that that I bought from Kolstein for my son just before he decided to quit playing bass. Send me an email if you are interested.

5. i dont think there are different types of fiberglass (at least not that I know of) and I have never had problems with lemur befor so i would just get the lemur and save money