Fibreglass and Wood

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by jermng, Jun 1, 2003.

1. jermng

May 6, 2002
    Hi all, I've realised that that there are mainly 2 different kinds of bows available - those made of wood and those made of fibreglass. I was wondering what the difference is between these 2 materials and which is more recommended.
    Also, what is the difference between brazil wood and pernambuco? Are there any other kinds of wood? Whis is more recommended?

2. Gabe

Jan 21, 2003
    There are also carbon fiber bows.

I believe that the difference between brazilwood and pernambuco is that the purnambuco is easier to get a balanced weight with. The brazilwood is less consistant. I think there is alos snakewood but I know nothing about the quality of those bows.

The pernambuco bows tend to be better than brazilwood but are more expensive. Fiberglass is usually even less than the brazill wood but you can't get the performance with a fiberglass as with wood.

There are some very nice carbon fiber bows on the market that tend to be fairly price efficient and industructable in addition to sounding pretty good.

There are good and bad of all kinds though and it's really a good idea to try a bow before buying.
  3. Actually, All Pernambuco wood is Brazilwood, but not all Brazilwood is Pernambuco. Here is a site that will give you more information about Pernambuco than you ever wanted to know.

Pernambuco Wood

4. You were not kidding...I now officially know way too much about pernambuco , or brazilwood....DAMN YOU!

(im only kidding)