Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fiddlesticks!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Whafrodamus, Sep 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
  2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
  3. slowburnaz

slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    Why would you bid on something you really don't want?

4. If you win it, and don't want it, I'll take it off your hands.

5. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal
    *Nelson voice on* HA-HA! *Nelson voice off*

:D

6. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    I'm pretty new to Ebay. What are snipers? I have a bid in on a p bass at the moment and from the sound of it, seems they could ruin my day.....

7. snipers are people who use programs to bid a certain amount higher than the highest bid in the last few seconds of the auction. they are the scum of ebay (next to scammers)

8. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    bastards..... :spit:

9. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
  10. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    BS.

Sniping programs work the same way as an eBay bid, but they don't get placed until the last few seconds. If a sniped bid isn't any higher than another bid, they won't get it. It's a way of out-psyching other bidders by not revealing your interest until the last moment, just like a real auction.

Sniping is effective against low-ball bidders. Not all of us have the time to sit in front of the computer watching items up for auction, so you bid your best offer and see how it comes out.

11. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Hah! I show this kid a link, and you just bid on it within seconds. Man. I might take if off you hands if you win it.

12. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    So - if I understand correctly - you were bidding on an item that you did not want, and your only reason for doing so was the "sport" of making someone else pay more?

:confused:

:eyebrow:

:scowl:

or maybe I'm misinterpreting.

13. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yet more evidence that eBay is a rip-off!! :meh:

14. Niels Keijzer

Niels Keijzer Guest

Nov 27, 2000
    ...QUOTE]So - if I understand correctly - you were bidding on an item that you did not want, and your only reason for doing so was the "sport" of making someone else pay more?
    or maybe I'm misinterpreting.[/QUOTE]

Not that we mean to call you 'scum', though. :D

15. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    I hope you get lumbered with buying it now.... we don't need people like that on eBay... :scowl:

16. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    I believe he is acting as a "shill," the practice is called "shilling," and that it's illegal. But let's give Mr. < < got a fuquaism ready! > > a chance to reply.

17. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Interesting point - it is "artifically inflating" the price and so any seller could get their friends to bid with no intention of buying, just to boost the price - how does eBay stop this or enforce laws across the whole world?

Anybody could be doing this and it may not be illegal in their country - it seems a big flaw in the eBay system? :meh:

18. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    What's a script user? It looks, from the bidding history, like he just placed his maximum bid and used Ebay's automated bidding.

19. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Dang. I was hoping he'd win it, then sell the bass to me so I could use that Rosewood neck on a 300 body.

20. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    You could always bid a dollar more.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.