Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

fiddlin with my knobs

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Aug 26, 2001.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    When I play cover gigs I usually use my P-deluxe bass cuz it's the most versatile. A couple of weeks ago I realized I've got tons of knobs on my amp, and lots of knobs on my other basses. I brought my MM Sterling to a cover gig and went CrAZy. I turned the mids down all the way on the amp - left the bass & trebles flat - cranked the bass & treble on the MM, and used the midrange on the bass for the differences in songs. May not seem like a big deal to anyone, but it's a radical change from my usual tone settings and it opened me up to experimentation with all my basses. There's lots of knobs and fun to be had. It's interesting also how I can get subtle yet powerful differences letting the bass do the work, or letting the amp do the work.

Any thoughts on this stuff?

2. Yeah i like sitting down and playing with the tone settings, see what tones i can replicate, or find a new sound that might give inspiration or add something new to my music.

Although in a gig setting its trebles midway and all the rest UP! My amp is a borrowed piece 'o' crap (why is it when ppl lend u things, its always crap?) So yeah, to get the punch i have to really kick it with lots of bass end and mids.

;)

Merls

3. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    It may not be much, but on my Jazz Bass, I could twiddle for days with just those three knobs. And now that I bought a DeArmond with a 3-band preamp, I just can't stop playing with my knobs! (Eww) My amp has fully parametric mids, and those are also sources of hours of entertainment. I seem to bounce back and forth between tones... for a long time, I had lots of lows and mids without a lot of highs, but lately I've been (tastefully) cutting selective mids at certain frequencies, and it's incredible the kind of tones I can get. Not all of them work in a band situation, but what the hell, they sound good by themselves.

After I get a new amp (Someday... someday...) I plan on picking up a Raven Labs True Blue EQ... and if I do, I don't think I'll ever stop... so much eq...