1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fieldy...aka the most annoying bassist ever

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by heath_the_great, Mar 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    But why invalidate them as musicians just because they don't appeal to you?

plus there are different levels of innovativeness, so- korn broke down a lot of barriers with their sound, inspiring many imitators, but because they didn't have secondary dominants or extended harmonies, they are not as valid somehow?

2. im not totally against using a pick...it has its places...i just think that playing a p-bass with a pick is just stereotypical....

some songs sound better using a pick and some sound better pizzacato, but IMO using a pick gives you a tone loss of 80%

3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    exactly 80% eh? I'll keep that in mind ;) :smug:

4. of course korn have an interesting sound, i lost interest in them quick...it became too repetetive.....

and how can you compare SRV's rendition of little wing to something like freak on a leash...it makes no sense

after watching the SRV dvd Live in austin Texas the Little Wing tribute film clip made me cry, thats how touching that is to me and im sure alot of other people....

5. How do you compare SRV's version of Little Wing to Hendrix'? (who's bass player lost 80% of his tone with a pick) :D

6. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Why do you have to compare music to each other like that?

Music is meant to be enjoyed.

I'm listening to ugly duckling, a rap group, right now, I love hip hop, am I about to say "this song is lame compared to Stravinsky's the rite of spring'?" of course not! there is ZERO point to do that, each music satisfies me, both in different ways.

7. i know tommy shannon uses a pick half the time, so did noel redding...but noel used a j bass...so did shannon most the time....which coincidently the j bass was his first bass

8. Dude, a link you should really check out.

not cool, not ever

9. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    heath, i think i hear you mom calling.

go home buddy you are dismissed.

10. lildrgn

lildrgn

Jul 11, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    *sniff* *sniff*

I smell a Music Snob!

You, HTG, need to learn some humility. Someday, there will come a bassist that will OWN you, and, instead of chalking it up to him being too "modern" or "it's what all the kids listen to these days," maybe you can learn something from him and realize that even (back on topic) Fieldy (and I'm not a fan) has something to offer.

Or you can keep popping off.

11. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too

12. well right now im listening to chic, when i listen i need to be able to feel the music, also what inspires me is positive lyrics, most rap outfits and metal bands just annoy me, why listen to something about raping your mother when you can be taken away by the sweet sound of coltrane, SRV, Graham Central Station or George Clinton

13. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    ignorance is bliss.......

14. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Close minded.

15. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    www.tabcrawler.com

tastes great less filling and great for guitar players.... enjoy.... leave us!

16. Lewk

Lewk

Oct 19, 2003
    it dawned on me these past few months in search of my "perfect bass" (hello the new ray) and i was trying all these new basses out, that the ones i liked least were the ones which had massive variations in tone. not because they played better or worse, just because i could never, in a short amount of time, dial in a really nice tone which i loved. i picked up a ray and a p, sure they can only do EQ variations on the one tone (which is still greatly affected by the player), but it's a killer tone. And that tone can be used in any type of music. I play jazz on my ray, as well as rock, funk, blues, country. I don't give a monkeys if people say "you can't play this on that it's too in your face" or whatever. I can use MY bass in WHATEVER way i like, because its MINE.

anywya i digress, the point being it dawned on me that if i want to be the bass player i eventually want to be, i'm going to get good on a solid, 4 string, 1 tonal instrument. get incredible. and then try new things.

on another note, i can't stand jacos music ( :eek: CONTROVERSY!!!!!!!) but i still respect why he was a genius at bass playing, but for me, thats not what bass is about. for you it is. fieldy is not my idea of bass playing either. but this kid at college who's pretty good loves to take his anger and emotion out in his music. and thats another fundamental aspect of music. everyone is unique, everyone likes different things, but just because they do does not mean we have to berate them for it. if everyone got along and accepted new things, new ideas, then modern music would not be as stale as it seems to me to be apparently getting, in some cases.

oh i hope that last statement didn't open up another can of worms.

soryr for the long post, don't really care if you read it heath, as i've been thinking a lot about this subject a lot recently anyway, in search of the next wave of musical enlightenment. so thanks for providing a place i can stick my thoughts down.

17. It's the beauty of music. Not only do exceptionally similar people not like the same music, excessively diverse people love the same music! :D

18. ooohhh have i hit a sweet spot on the p-bass topic.....as usual i just state my opinion on what the **** i think and because i think that p-basses are out dated, useless, toneless hunks of dog feces makes me a rebel does it?...

i just also think that they are useless gigging machines where if you wanted a diff tone you would have to change basses, such as where jazz, kubicki's, yamaha trb's, and ibanez btb's are more versatile and toneally "better"

All of you have a cry just because i stirred some **** cos i dont like p-basses

19. Although I don't like Precisions, I would hardly classify them as "1 tonal." You make it what it is.

Man, I'm like, all Zen and stuff...

20. my point on the kubicki being 'better than a precision' is that you have 2 active modes and 3 passive, all you have to do to get a good sound is to switch the 6 way pot and change your pickup balance...no need to touch the 2 band eq at all....it has great playability, great tone(s)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.