Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fieldy Effect?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by cap, Oct 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cap

cap

Aug 8, 2001
    Hickam Hawaii
    I was told a few days ago by a friend, whom I trust, that Fieldy uses an effect called broken sub to achive his sound. I'm not a fan of fieldy but I hadn't ever heard of this effect and wondered if anybody else had heard of it or can confirm it.

-cap

2. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    I've never heard of it either... I thought he just tuned down a step, from the very very short snippet of Corn I've actually listened to.

Intrested I am yeesss...

3. cap

cap

Aug 8, 2001
    Hickam Hawaii
    Ya..I thought he just used increadibly low action and slapped the living hell out of it...but now i'm not so sure.

-cap

4. Fieldy uses ugly & hated bass player synth;)

5. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Doesn't he use the elusive DOD "MegaSuck" pedal?

6. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    hahahaha - broken sub -> non-working subwoofer -> no lows -> clickety-click

That reminds me of this old movie apprentice prank - junior, get that optical axis from the warehouse, will ya? :D

7. He doesn't use any effect to get that clicky sound, just heavy guage, droptuned stainless steel strings, a heavy bass with no action and active electronics, and the two signals coming from his M-2000. One bass and mids cut with only the highs boost (the click) and the other with bass and treble boosts and scooped mids. He does use effects though: about eight Boss SYB3 Bass Synths, a Boss Hyper Fuzz, he used a Boss Tremolo on the follow the leader album but he uses a Voodoo Labs one now, and an old Ibanez FL9 analog flanger. He used to use a SansAmp pedal and an eq boost pedal on the second album.

So many threads about fieldy.... I want his flanger!

8. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I've found what Bigfeet says is true. As far as I know, he is big on the Sansamp Bass Driver and the Boss SYB-3. In fact. Boss promo ads mention Fieldy as an enthusiatic user of the SYB-3, ( I don't know about the other effects Bigfeet mentions). But as much as we dis him, I like the band's sound on their latest album, although I am no fan of Korn/Fieldy by any stretch of the imagination.

FWIW - I use the Akai Deep Impact bass synth pedal. Its 4 oscillators, true bypass, and rock-solid construction, make the dimunitive Boss SYB-3 seem like a "toy" to me.
    But Fieldy says he doesn't even bother to practice, so I doubt he puts a lot of thought into his gear choices, (even though he's rich enough to have about any gear on the market. Believe me, with that dough, you wouldn't catch me playing an Ibanez!!!!).

9. Here are a few tips on sounding like Fieldy!

1. Have a neurosurgeon remove half of your brain and replace it with your own feces.
    2. Never ever practice again
    3. Don't even try to play the bass, just tape your strings together and pluck them randomly.

10. Hahaha, i like the last reply, good stuff! tape the strings together and slap some random thing!

*ReSpEsCt*

11. Okie dok, it's been swell but the swelling has stopped... Doo dee doo dee doo... *click*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.