Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fieldy Going Solo

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Reid, Jan 23, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Reid

Reid

Aug 25, 2000
    Oakville, Ontario
    Yeah, you read it right. In a fit of laughter I nearly swerved off of the road when i heard this on the radio.
    I stopped laughing quite so hard when the said it was going to be hip-hop.

http://www.kornweb.com/biography/ra.phtml

2. Yertle The Turtle

Yertle The Turtle

Nov 15, 2000
    I'm trying to write something, but its difficult because my jaw hurts from laughing. You should be grateful to be alive after such a fatal distraction while at the wheel my friend....

3. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I don't think there's anything I can add to that.

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    That is funny. I'm going to have to show that to my bass buddies. Jeez.

5. td1368

td1368

Jan 9, 2001
    Philadelphia
    That clicking sound isn't fieldys bass playing. That's my jaw moving up and down from laughing.

Not to offend anyone but C'mon.

6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Just when you think something hit bottom, you find out there's a basement.

7. 8 bars for a tattoo by fieldy
    KLAKLAKKLAKitybubububububduddododododododododod.
    klakakakakttttkk doodoodoodoodoo dubboobity bo

8. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    This is like some kind of hoax, right?

9. um, you do realise that this will mean ANOTHER BASS PLAYER ISSUE WITH FIELDY ON THE COVER.
    ARRRRGGGGGGHHHHHH NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
    :mad:

[Edited by The Mock Turtle Regulator on 01-25-2001 at 04:13 PM]

10. aren´t you guys being a little harsh?

Thou shalt not judge others! :D

I´ve heard about this before... and if it´s anything like his korn stuff... OMG... but I _think_ it won´t be... :)

I would like to hear it..

11. Yertle The Turtle

Yertle The Turtle

Nov 15, 2000
    I'm sure it will be. I don't think his voice will be very well suited to rapping (it is pretty high)

12. ummm...ok.....this is very sad. the i started liking fieldy is the day i should have killed my self.

13. Yertle The Turtle

Yertle The Turtle

Nov 15, 2000
    Grievious bodily harm would have done just fine, no need to go overboard :D

14. ytsebri

ytsebri

Sep 1, 2000
    Dallas
    Like most of you, I have no constructive or positive comments. The only thing I can really say is it is sad state of affairs that modern popular music is in.

15. they were talking about that on mtv.....and one of fieldy's main collaborators is.....::gulp:: eminem

they also said that guitarist head and the guitarist from orgy are startinbg their own clothing line. i forgot what its called but that sounds really cheesy.

16. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    I wish the noise known as rap would vanish from this planet. I hate rap with a passion. It is the most disturbing, annoying, crap I have ever heard. Oh excuse me, its called hip hop these days, I forgot. Hey, I play hard music too, but my way of getting out is putting on some Beatles or Moody Blues, not making a rap album. God save music.

17. I have to agree with PCBH's sentiment here.

JWC: that is far too dismissive of what is one of the most popular genres in the world.

Also, the fact the rap is a vocal technique and that Hip-Hop is a style shows how little you know about it.

Rapping as a technique can be so varied. Lauryn Hill raps softly, NWA rap hard, De La Soul rap mellow and funky... It also involves an amazing amount of vocal dexterity. Free-rapping (rapping without pre-written lyrics) is one of the most amazing things I've ever heard - it's like a free jazz solo, but with rhyme and meaning- top make up rhymes in rhythm and expression/intonation on the spot takes a great deal of skill. Ella Fitzgerald sung whole songs of scat, does that come under the rap umberella and is that 'crap' as well?

Before critisising further check out the UK Hip-Hop scene.
    Go and get hold of a copy of "The Herbaliser - Very Mercenary". You can buy it online at http://www.ninjatune.com - DONT get anything from Napster as ninja tune are a small independant label and need all the money they can get.

The Herbaliser are mainly two guys, but they recruit some of the UKs best musicians and play a straight instrumental jazz/hip-hop/dance/break-beat set that would bring tears to your eyes... I saw them once in London and I can only compair the IMMENSE vibe to that of James Browns stuff in the late 60's.

"I wish the noise known as rap would vanish from this planet."
    To quote the great(?) Eminem "I dont give a s**t if you dont like my s**t, casue I was high when I wriote this so suck my d**k". I dont mean this personally, just a joke.

"I hate rap with a passion. It is the most disturbing, annoying, crap I have ever heard."
    OK then, The Beatles were great I agree, but what about Frog Chorus by Mr McCartney?

"Hey, I play hard music too, but my way of getting out is putting on some Beatles or Moody Blues, not making a rap album."
    Hey I'm not capable of critisising The Beatles, but Hard??? I think not!

"God save music."
    ...from what? Progression? Saints preserve us!

[Edited by arther daily on 01-29-2001 at 09:36 AM]

18. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    Looks like JWC's done it again... :D

19. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    PCBH-
    I am a senior member little boy. You are a new member, so you go find a new ****in message board if you don't like what I'm saying. Got it ****wadd?

You sound like some little ignorant **** who just fell off the turnip truck. I don't no anything about music? Ha! I know more than you will ever know you little smart mouth bastard.

If you are so open minded, tell me a little about my favorite bands and musicians-
    John Cage
    Rick Wakeman, solo
    Focus
    Renaissance
    Moody Blues
    Uriah Heep
    King Crimson
    Hawkwind
    Magma
    Triumvirate
    Macdonal and Giles

As for rap, I had my fill of NWA and Public Enemy when I was in high school. Anyone who feels they have to use the word ****** in a song 10,000 times obviously is lacking.

20. hip hop is not well represented commercially today, but if you'd listen to the roots or jurassic 5 for example, you'd be hard pressed to deny their talent.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.