Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fieldy(NO hating here)

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Intrepid, Feb 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Intrepid

Intrepid

Oct 15, 2001
    Discuss maturely....I mean am I the only one that thinks Fieldy sounds pretty damn good. Given you won't see me playing like him ever, but I mean he fits his thing. He sounds good, does a good job supporting the band and when the guitar kicks in, he gets to clicking. Its rhytmic and just sounds cool. he is meshing drums and bass closer then anybody else has. By the way if you think I'm some stupid teen that doesn't know jack about music then your dead wrong.

2. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    Yeah, it works for the music. I used to be into korn and think he was great then I started playing and realised that it's the easiest thing ever. But still kinda cool I suppose... Is there any other bassist with the same style?

3. Rickenbackerman

Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
    That's your opinion! He sounds like nails on a chalkboard to me.

4. bass2020

bass2020

Aug 27, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    How does he get that click?
    I wouldn't play like that, but it sounds cool.
    He can probably play a lot better than he does on the CD's

5. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    I must admit it does sound cool,but go to JT's link in his signature,and you may think differently of him...in a bad way.

6. How exactly am I supposed to respect a player that is like "practicing sucks, i just get up there and hit my bass with a closed fist..." How much talent does that take? Although I will admit it does fit their moody, bass-heavy style though. I do think Korn does a great job of setting an eerie mood, and that is where Fieldy comes in. Talented, he is definitely not. I could easily do what he does. But if the question comes to fitting the music style, fieldy does do a good job.

Rickenbackerman: You hit the nail on the head right there. I think his clicking can be incredibly obnoxious, and I can never listen to more than one Korn song at one time.

AS regard to him meshing drums and bass together, I think any decent slapper does a MUCH BETTER JOB OF THAT than fieldy does. And even if he does mesh drums and bass together, his tone is god awful IMHO. A good drummer sounds great. A good bassist sounds great. An extremely talented musician who can mesh the two togehter sounds great. One who plays with a 10/0/10 EQ, incredibly floppy strings, and just randomly bashes them against the fretboard sounds like absolute crap to me.

Oh yeah, all this is just basically my opinion, so don't go nuts fieldy fans. Just remember that u are probably at the wrong web page if you are looking for fieldy sympathizers.....

7. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I liked him better in Rag Tyme! :p
    He had cool big hair!

8. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Eh. I'm not a fan of Feildy, or his followers.

9. Prague77

Prague77

Aug 20, 2001
    Waco, TX
    too much talk of this feildy guy going on! he is a total moron. i feel sorry for people who belive he is talented. he may as well just smash his face into the bass rythmicly, probably sound better. actually, that would be funny to see if you think about it.

10. If Fieldy didn't fit the style of Korn, they probably wouldn't have him. Therefore, it can be argued, that his only credential is that he was at the right place at the right time. This is the same sort of mentality that goes along with people thinking mark hoppus is so good. Fat Mike does everything Hoppus does, hell, Hoppus basically lifted everything he learned from Fat Mike, and Mike is a much more talented bassist IMO.
    The truth is, if Korn decided to make their music a bit more moody and focused less on sonic attack and percussive sound, I doubt fieldy would have a place, he wouldn't be versatile or skilled enough to match their new style. I suppose this is all a little one-sided, Korn's main signature IS their percussive sound. But you can look at it both ways, is fieldy good because he supports Korn's sound, or does Korn's sound support fieldy's playing philosophy and style.

11. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    I tend to disagree with everything you said.

12. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    i think feildy is great. leave it to boneheaded bassists to bash any thing orignal. He's got more than avarage rythem, locks in tight, awesome sound, and, can actully play the bass. I think people just get mad that he's made more money playing bass than they have in the whole lives. And despite what people think, he is very versatile.

13. Some of the responses here have me laughing..

Believe me the majority of people on here are experienced and wise at bass.. If ALL of them say he is not a tremendous bass player, then there has to be some truth to it.. The people here who would be jealous, would be jealous of the players that made money playing well... For example: Entwistle.

Any jealousy towards fieldy would be directed at him because people may be jealous that such a mediocre player could make so much money at it... Jealous of his breaks in life. Possibly thinking he does not deserve it. His sound is unique, but not difficult to achieve. People usually choose not to play with it because it is not that musically appealing. Of course it does fit in with Korn, but honestly, he is replaceable in terms of skill, as I am certain that there are like 100 players on talkbass that could play his lines with his EQ set-ups and techniques. One of my basses is a measly sr400 and believe me it gets all the click you can handle if played correctly (read: incorrectly:p). I guess I am neither a lover or a hater, I know his role, and I realize that in terms of skill he is less than special. As for personality and role: he is just right for Korn.

later,

Mike

14. You hit the nail on the head.

Some of us on the board have been playing longer than some others have been alive, and it is obvious by their posts.

Jealous of Billy Sheehan, Geddy Lee, Chris Squire, Jaco....YES

Jealous of Fieldy and other flavors of the week....NOT

15. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Im gonna watch this thread like a hawk and the 1st time i see it remotly turn evil am going to shut it right down.

So everyone play nicely or dont play at all.

Love:

Mama Cass

16. I will admit that Fieldy sound fits in with Korn. He has a very unique sound. I do not like Korn, I do not like Fieldy's "style" of playing. Other people do, and that's fine. Everyone is entitled to their opinions, be they fans or not.

There is only one post I feel I have to respond to directly.

I respect your opinion of Reginald Arvizu, AKA Fieldy Snuts. My opinion on him is different. I think he is childish and has limited talent.
    Leave it to boneheaded kids to bash anyone who disagrees with their opinion. I don't like Jaco, but I respect his playing, and respect the opinions of people that like him. I respect him because he was an outstanding bass player. Fieldy is mediocre at best. If you like his sound, fantastic.
    I have no respect for Fieldy because he has no respect for his bass, or even practicing the songs he made so much money playing. You say he is versatile, but I have never heard him do anything but "clickity clack." I never heard his playing in Ragtyme or L.A.P.D. so I can't comment on how versatile he is.

Don't worry Cassanova, I play nice. :D

For more on Fieldy, Check the sig.

17. Well.. I don´t think Fieldy is really talented or a "Bass Master" as written in a Zoom advertistment shown next to Stuart Hamm and others..

But I recognize that he has a great sound, wether he sounds more like (enter your opinion here) than a bass.. of course, I don´t think he could play a gig or jam along with the rest of his band with no FX and a standard tuned passive 4 string. But he guy dug is own path into a certain tone and style that identifies him whenever you listen to it. And eventhough I dont consider him a talented or outsanding bassist, i like his sound, the rithyms he plays, and above all, I´m sure he fits perfectly with the overall sound and stlye of the band.

18. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I'll put it this way: about 90% of us could leave our current bands, and go play for someone else with little or no problem. If Fieldy leaves KoRn, he's unemployed and unemployable. JMO.

19. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    After reading John Turner's new signature, my respect for Fieldy went WAY down. I had no idea that he had such disrespect for his instrument as he did.

I mean, okay, Fieldy's approach to bass is different from that of many people, but I've heard dozens of players that are more unique and far more talented... they get zero recognition!

That's what bugs me: This guy walks around being hailed as a Bass God and getting free equipment, and he doesn't even practice.

All this recognition because he plays a few notes that aren't roots - what I want to know is, where can I get a lucky horse shoe like his? :mad:

20. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Sweet Jebus! What part of "No Hating" didn't you Fieldy-bashers understand? Can't you give Fieldy fans just one thread unpolluted by gratuitous Fieldy abuse? :mad:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.