1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fieldy Solo Album: Bassically

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
  2. Rev J

Rev J

Jun 14, 2012
    Berkeley, Ca.
    I've actually been interested since he announced it a couple of years ago. I think it will be interesting to hear what he does other than "Be the bassist for Korn." He might actually have something interesting when not competing with 2 detuned 7 strings and a kick drum for sonic space,

C/S,
    Rev J

viking power and stario like this.
  3. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    Fieldy: Bassically

Been waiting for this since I heard it announced a few years ago. Was sure it would never actually arrive. It's about as weird and awkward as I expected it to be, at least judging by those 3 tracks :D

gebass6 likes this.
  4. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

Have you ever heard his solo rap album? He literally has a beat made of gunshots. It is a great comedy album but I don't know if that was his intent. Mind you, he was quite aware because his songs make a point to comment on how the record isn't great and he doesn't care because he has Korn money. You cannot really argue the guy on that last point.

On a side note, I know a fellow who once ran sound for Korn. Turns out, Fieldy is tied to the drum triggers to keep his playing on time.

TheMinutemen and Dr. Cheese like this.
  5. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Hey, I have been taking lessons for a year now, and my natural tendency is to rush the beat, if drum triggers help Fieldy, I ain’t hating!:bassist:

DiabolusInMusic likes this.
  6. blue4

blue4

Feb 3, 2013
    St. Louis area
    Forgive my ignorance, but what's a drum trigger? Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but I'm taking it to mean the drums and bass can play out of time live and this machine will auto adjust it?

7. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I think it means that Fieldy’s monitor is synced to the bass drums to keep his time tight.

8. blue4

blue4

Feb 3, 2013
    St. Louis area
    Ah OK. Thanks.

9. Rev J

Rev J

Jun 14, 2012
    Berkeley, Ca.
    I listened to the free samples. I like what I heard but it kind of sounds like demos to me. There are interesting ideas but the but the execution is a little sloppy. I make that same criticism about Primus too.

C/S,
    Rev J

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  10. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    Yea very sloppy IMO, and the mix is very demoish. Just a bunch of pentatonic runs. A Bucket Of Funk - just because you turned the envelope filter on Fieldy, it don't make it funk xD

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  11. Rev J

Rev J

Jun 14, 2012
    Berkeley, Ca.
    Well here is the whole thing:

I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet.

The one thing I wanted to say about the free samples is that you have to remember that he has said that he was working on it for 10 years and we really don't know when those samples were recorded. I don't know about you guys but I can honestly say I am not the same bassist I was 10 years ago.

When I get a chance to listen to the whole thing I'll give you an opinion.

C/S,
    Rev J

12. Rev J

Rev J

Jun 14, 2012
    Berkeley, Ca.
    Well, I listened to it. I went in with no expectations and was pleasantly surprised. I wasn't expecting Jaco or Stanley Clarke and if you are then you will be disappointed. One of the things I noticed is that the Korn clank is used sparingly and as a special effect usually as a secondary percussion element in the background. The influences are varied there is the Hip Hop and Hard Rock that I expected but also some unexpected ones like Reggae and old school FUnk. The tones are generally pretty good and balanced which can be hard when you are recording and mixing multiple basses. Some tracks reminded me of Doug Wimbishes album "Trippy Notes For Bass" or a really good modern Blaxploitation soundtrack.

On the negative side there are a couple of tracks that feature some really pitchy fretless playing. Since fretless isn't his specialty I can't fault him as it is kind of a difficult instrument to get the hang of. The other thing I noticed was over the top chorusing on some tracks. There were also some interesting ideas that lacked a little on the delivery. Kind of like he knew what he wanted to play but was stumbling.

All in all I liked it probably enough to actually pay for it.

C/S,
    Rev J

13. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    Almost managed to listen to the whole thing (had to skip a few parts here and there). Well, it's bad, it's just bad. Bad production, tinny sound, non-existent compositions, often out of pocket, amateurish playing, overuse of pentatonic scales. It's not quite good enough to be "elevator music", but it just might be on par with "bad movie DVD menu screen music".

14. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    That would sound good in an elevator, or as background music for a “buy local” boutique in some big city selling area code hats.

15. Kinky Afro

Kinky Afro

May 24, 2012
    Melbourne
    WOW! I only just found out this album exists. I can now fully see how Korn could replace him with a 12 year old. So loose, so amateurish!

16. Plake

Plake Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2010
    I...um...oh nevermind. :whistle:

17. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

Oh my... that's pretty rough.

18. stario

stario

Aug 25, 2014
    LA county
    Dude, Fieldy's Dreams was a sick album in my opinion. You're right about it being a comedy album, or at least one he doesn't really take himself seriously on. I loaned the disc to my friend and he broke in his CD player :(

19. Plake

Plake Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2010
    Did the CD player break the disc or did the disc break the CD player? :yawn:

LiquidMidnight likes this.