Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fieldy Sound

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DownCaster, Oct 12, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DownCaster

DownCaster

Aug 22, 2000
    Does anyone know how to get that percussion sound like fieldy on bass? Can i get it out of a P-Bass? thanks in advance.

2. Quzumm

Quzumm

Sep 25, 2000
    Trondheim, Norway
    I've read in an interview that he boosts the bass and the treble all up, and cuts the mids all away.

3. BassMan2000

BassMan2000

Sep 27, 2000
    Canada
    Good Thing :Do to fieldys weird purcussive sound he makes a really interesting sound, usually considered a bass drum.

Bad Thing: Fieldy is really not that great of a bass player, I mean hitting the strings in some what of rythmic matter, My little brother can do that. If I was you I would be considering listening to Marcus Miller or Les Claypool or good old trusty Vic.

4. DownCaster

DownCaster

Aug 22, 2000
    I am not a huge Fieldy fan any more...but my band is covering them and was curious. I think the sound is kinda neat...but dull at the same time.

Oh Les is my favorite player. I really am a metalhead so it is hard for me to sit down and listen to stuff other than metal (even if the bass player is amazing. i realize Primus isn't metal...but i love Primus too.)

are marcus or victor in a band or are they solo players? ( like i said i am a metalhead...so i don't know a whole lot bout other musics bassists)

5. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    No, i can guarantee you that you will not be able to reproduce the sound. For one, he plays a 5 string, exclusively. And he plays that B sring (well, A) almost always. So you wont even be able to play the songs for one!

Im assuming you can slap, but even with that, you wont be able to get the sound using a regular p-bass. Completely wrong pickups for this!

Lastly, he gets the sound out of the tweeter, that little hole in an amp. He mikes that (it produces the high clicky sound), and yes, he cuts all mids. THOSE 2 things are the most important factors, and you probably wont be able to reproduce this. So, i guess, your screwed! :D But, you can always just play it without the clicky sound, and it will still sound cool!

Hope that helps! :D

6. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    Marcus Miller has played with a bunch of people. One of the earlier groups he played with is Dave Grusin's band. He also played with Miles Davis in the 80's. I don't know if you'll like any of this stuff because it is jazz, not metal.

Vic Wooten plays with Bela Fleck and the Flecktones. He's also played on a bunch of other recordings. Go to his website at victorwooten.com for a complete list.

7. KingBiz007

KingBiz007

Oct 5, 2000
    Trust me guys, he doesnt suck. I've seen him play some pretty cool stuff at live shows.

"Turn up the highs, crank the lows and **** the mids" - Fieldy

Use your thumb and pinky finger on the top 3 strings for most of his stuff. Most of it is really fun to play.

I play more of a Sam Rivers finger style bass but once and a while i like to loosen my bass strap so my bass hangs low like his and go nuts.

8. thayer182

thayer182

Oct 1, 2000
    personally I can't see how anyone can play w/ thier bass all up in thier armpits and stuff. to me it seems that your arm would get tired from holding it up that high all the time. I keep my strap loosened all the way.

9. Marcus Miller also has a complete list on his site... 429 records by 202 artists... that´s pretty much :D

just thought I´d mention it :)

10. Sofa King

Sofa King

Aug 20, 2000
    Rowlett, TX
    Yeah, I hate how people decide to judge his skills when he's really not showing off with the music he plays. I'd like to hear what he could really play.

11. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    And what if he really sucks?

12. Casey C.

Casey C.

Sep 16, 2000
    Butler, PA, USA
    i don't think fieldy can do much more than what he plays wiht korn. i don't get it, i was a korn fan for 2 years, i gave up on them because i wanted somethin more. i was sick of jon saying "this new album is gonna be the heaviest thing out there!" but back to fieldy.... the guy doesn't play anything beyond the 7th fret, and plays 3 strings ( B E A , but A D G for him) and since when should "clank clanky clank clank" be called bass playing? and if korn can do more than what they write, then why don't they atleast write stuff that is harder (technical wise)? it doesn't make any sence at all, you've got the talent? show it. same goes with limp bizkit, my bass teacher said one day "i was listening to limp bizkit the other day. They are sooooo boring its unbelievable. they just play simple riffs thats it? why doesn't somebody bring back tapping from the 80's?"

even if wes does tapping in "re-arranged" you can barely hear it. and that tapping is nothing like eddie van halen or meshuggah. kids these days and their music, let me tell yah......

13. KingBiz007

KingBiz007

Oct 5, 2000
    Still, name anyone in music who plays like Fieldy.

Their is no way anyone could ever copy his style. It would be to easy to hear.

Let me remind you guys that Fieldy is Hip Hop influenced. Which is probebly one of the reasons he wanted a deep "bass drum" sound.

Could you hear a Les Claypool type riff in a KoRn song? No!
    Could you hear a Rex Brown type riff in a KoRn song? No!

What i'm trying to say is that Fieldy is Fieldy and his sound is his sound.To me, that is quite an accomplishment, to make up a style, that is basicly... yours.

P.S: Listen to the song B.B.K from Follow the Leader. That song is very fast throughout the whole song. Its actually pretty hard to play.

14. Casey C.

Casey C.

Sep 16, 2000
    Butler, PA, USA
    bbk- no it isn't hard

why would you want to copy his sound?

15. Sofa King

Sofa King

Aug 20, 2000
    Rowlett, TX
    I know Fieldy really doesn't play anything hard on any of the albums, but why judge when you haven't heard the best he can play? Just because one can play better and faster doesn't mean he or she has to when they're making songs.

I agree, why would you want to copy his sound, let alone someone elses sound?

[Edited by Sofa King on 10-12-2000 at 09:16 PM]

16. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Its too bad you are basing Fieldys "coolness" on his tone...because its not his own. Justin Chancellor did the EXACT same thing with Tool long before Korn came about. Except Chancellor didnt mike the tweeter as much, and played with a pick. Notice on early Korn CDs that clicky sound isnt there? Its because its a studio trick. NO TALENT REQUIRED. Once they got the chance to record in a real studio, you hear it more. So really, Fieldy isnt original, but has a damn good engineer.

17. BassMan2000

BassMan2000

Sep 27, 2000
    Canada
    Personally I'm not a big Fieldy fan, I prefer good bass players e.g Les Claypool, Geezer Butler, The bass player from Rush ( forgot his name ), their the real deal. Fieldy doesn't seem to play anything difficult at all. I think because maybe he can't? Or maybe fieldy just doesn't want to get in to complicated fills.

18. DownCaster

DownCaster

Aug 22, 2000
    Thanks for the help guys. I figured that the P-bass wasn't going to work but just thought i would ask for the hell of it.

I am going to look into Vic. and M. Miller. Even tough i am not the biggest Jazz fan...i am trying to expand my influences on bass and am very curious to all music.

Mega...Justin is like one of my favorite bass players. i love how he plays. I am hoping of talkin my band into doing a tool song. BUt i guess Korn like do for now.

19. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

GASP.. ARGGHH..

How could any bass player forget Geddy Lee's name?

That's sacrilege!;)

'Get a rope!'

:D

20. BassMan2000

BassMan2000

Sep 27, 2000
    Canada
    Sorry man I've just been under alot of stress sorry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.