Fieldy's Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lambofgod814, Jul 18, 2005.

1. I'm looking into buying a bass since I need to give my uncle back his Guild Pilot and I had a question. I really like the look of the K5 Fieldy bass because of the padauk wood, but I don't really want a 5 string bass. I was just wondering if anyone knew of another bass with the same wood or something that closely resembled it.

Thanks in advance,
  2. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    Let me tell you, the difference between the Padauk-boded K5 and mahogany bodied SR505 is very slim. The electronics (superior-in-every-way Bartolini's) of the SR505 do much more for your tone than the Vari-Mid and actie PU's of the K5.

If you want the Fieldy sound, look, and crappiness, I'd say to pay too much and get the K5. If you'd like to get what you really want, a 4 string with a similar look and better feel, etc., get the Ibanez SR500.
  3. T o the best of my knowledge, there is no other production bass that uses padouk as a body wood, or even a top wood. I think that's something you'd need to custom order.

+1 on the SR500, very kickass indeed.

4. Sprudellio

Oct 16, 2002

Check out Herr Schwarz
  5. Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    I've always loved the look of the K5 Fieldy basses, but hated the sound. If you don't mind giving up on padauk (like deathbloomslife said, I don't know of any other production basses that use it), try out the SR900 or 905. They have the same basic body shape, and are absolutely beautiful with the flamed maple. They sound great too.
  6. emptycell u are the man i just looked up the sr500 and it is beautiful with the brown mahogany :bassist:

now another question to those who can help
    i got into bass partly because my uncle plays bass and partly because Ryan Martinie aka Ryknow makes me smile when i hear him play

that being said would i be able to get a good slaps and pops out of the sr500

Again, thanks in advance,
  7. Is Martinie still using that "code name?" I thought Mudvayne stoppped doing that... meh.

anyhow, Im sure youll be able to get a good slap and pop sound out of it, just as long as you get a nice setup. IMO, you could probably find a used 'vette for around the same price, if a not bit more, and my bet says that it would be a bit closer than an SR. but like I said, I think you should be able to get the sound out just as long as you have a nice setup.

a fellow martinie fan,